Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIW cards work ok in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-11-2003 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting an ATI AIW card. Was wondering is anyone using one in Ireland and does the tuner and digital VCR functionality work ok here? Does it show you the TV listings etc, as it claims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Was thinking of getting an ATI AIW card. Was wondering is anyone using one in Ireland and does the tuner and digital VCR functionality work ok here? Does it show you the TV listings etc, as it claims.

I've got an AIW VE. Originally bought for TV and video use but have found that I never use the TV primarily cause I can't get any reception on it. I've tried basical aerial and get fuzzy crap picture, and on cable I get a clear picture but not all the channels. I only tried cable for a few mintues though and the auto tuner found some stations but ignored others that the TV itself picked up no problem.

The digital video offers a range of options, most of them designed to be watched from a distance. Best quality takes up lots of disk space and is quite watchable, anything lower than best really looks awful.

I bought the card with the view of it possibly doubling as an actual TV/video as they market as such to college kids in the US. I can't recommend it really but that said I've only messed around with cable for a few mins, and maybe where it's situated in my room isn't conducive to good aerial reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Doesn't sound too good....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I also have an ATI AIW (9000 I think). I bought it for capturing and have not used the tuner function. The VCR works on it though. Imo it's an excellent card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I use an ATI 8500AIW and the tuner is connected to my NTL cable and its fine. Get all the channels (except UTV or channel4 forget which). But all the others are there and of decent quality.

No idea about Digital VCR function. Not an option for me.

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    I use an ATI 8500AIW and the tuner is connected to my NTL cable and its fine. Get all the channels (except UTV or channel4 forget which). But all the others are there and of decent quality.

No idea about Digital VCR function. Not an option for me.

I wonder why you can't get that channel. Did you ask ATI or whomever the manufacturered it why?

• Advertisement

I wonder why you can't get that channel. Did you ask ATI or whomever the manufacturered it why?

That's what I found, it just ignores some channels for some reason. The reception through cable though is fine, even on full screen.

As a 3d card it's not too bad either. Just don't buy it to entirely substitute a TV/Video.

I primarily want it as a Video I/O out card from my VHS recorder and video cameras. But the TV tuner and 3D accelerator functionality are also important. Even as 2D card because the onboard SIS video on my 2nd PC struggles with high res stuff in Windows XP. The machine has no AGP.

I primarily want it as a Video I/O out card from my VHS recorder and video cameras. But the TV tuner and 3D accelerator functionality are also important. Even as 2D card because the onboard SIS video on my 2nd PC struggles with high res stuff in Windows XP. The machine has no AGP.

Well my AIW VE is PCI only so not having an AGP slot isn't a problem.

I've been playing Max Payne 2 smoothly too. Depends on if you really care about having the best res and having all the options turned on in games. I play MP2 at 1024*768 and it runs perfectly. My friend balks at the idea of running it at that res but it doesn't bother me. The card is 64meg and I'm not really a gamer so I don't care.

They're not cheap though....mine was 180 euros a while back but I bought it in Peats cause I didn't want to wait for online ordering!

I have another machine for gaming so that doesn't bother me too much. Its 140 euros from this place link dunno if they deliver to IRL or not. Haven't the funds at the moment but hope to have them soon.

Advertisement