Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend chat script please

Options
  • 09-11-2003 2:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I have to move a chat setup to a different server for a client so I'm looking at alternatives while I'm at it. The site is currently running phpMyChat, however I never particularly liked it and it hasn't been updated in ages. I've been looking around and these scripts jumped out at me...
    ...but past experience (AWStats from nahodoic and blacknight) has taught me that it's a good idea to ask here too, so... any recommendations? Requirements:
    • I favour PHP-based solutions but I'm open to suggestions. However it should be noted that I won't go, for example, the Java route unless the application is VERY good.
    • An advertising option would be favourable. It's not urgent but it would be nice as a future possibility.
    • It can't be /silly/ on resources. This is going on a server that already eats processes like a cop eats donuts, so the chat script has to be efficient.
    • Minimal administration. I don't want to have to babysit this thing, so if I can hand some responsibility off the the community, all the better.
    Also note that I've tried Jabber and I'm not mad about it; ditto interfaces to IRC.

Ta,
    adam

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I've been using digichat on my web site for the last 4 years now and have to say I'm still impressed with it.

It's not the cheapest solution out there but as far as our members are concerned it's the best by far.

It is Java based which adds an extra level of complexity to the setup but it's well worth the effort.

It's not to resource hungry either, we've had over 130 people chatting at one time on our shared server without any problems.

It'll run on Windows/Linux/Mac, and it has some fairly nice site integration features for linking in with any existing membership system you may have. You can also customise the look & feel to fit in with your existing (new) site design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Graham - do you have a link to that? (Yes - I am being lazy)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the site that sells the software is here www.DigiChat.com

You can see it in use (integrated into membership database and customised) here www.widemouth.com

Advertisement