Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Like Me

Options
  • 09-11-2003 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I've been following the series with interest. Its opened up into a catchy number!

Characters are well developed
    Extremely witty
    Great surprises*
    Good fun

This could be a real winner. ie one that lasts more than a season

*The moment in tonights ep where the one bedroom bedsit turned out to be an internet camera room was classic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i watched one episode and i thought it was really good! (Y)
    i dont know the times so i barely get a chance to see it
    but anywho, if ye see it on, watch it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've watched parts of a few episodes, it never keeps my interest, don't think much of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I forgot it last Friday! Damned drinking! Anyways it's repeated during the week so it's good.

I enjoy the series. I think Rueben's the best character - very sarky bastard that he is - and there are some interesting observations on how we live our lives. Sure it's a tad over-rated by some people but I'm gonna continue to watch for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Well azezil you need to catch a few eps to get the flow. Its like the sopranos come into any soprano ep watch a few minutes and you just don't see the full picture.

I don't want to class this show as THE best thing on tv. But with some of the sh1t trying to pass itself off as entertainment, this series floats to the top.

I'm waiting on someone to tell me the series is cancelled after one season.

Go on I know your there, you always are when its a show I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stake

Haven't time to write a proper response now, but needless to say i love this shiw. As you can see below....
    I'll just repost what I wrote in the televsion forum after viewing the first episode.
    Oh, and you need not worry Lawdie. It has been renewed for another year.

I'm new here and this is my first post, so I thought i might as well make it a snivelling ode to the pilot episode of "Dead Like Me", packed full of hyperbole. Here goes....

Unfair as it may be, “Buffy” is now the yardstick by which I measure how good, or dire as is the usual result, new TV programmes are. I remember the night I watched the first ever showing of Buffy in Ireland. It was a Saturday night and Sky was showing the stupid little programme with the vacuous blonde running and jumping. Or so I thought. “Welcome to the Hellmouth”, the first “Buffy” episode, was so good you could almost hear all the necessary components clicking into place. The directing was expert, the characters immediately likeable, the acting was superb and the script crackled with wit and verve. “Buffy” was a confident show from the start. It knew how good it was and it wanted to show the world.

I don’t think I was ever as sure of anything as I was of how good “Buffy” was going to be. Until now.

I’ve just finished watching the pilot episode of “Dead Like Me”. It struck me dumb. An incredible 80 minutes of television that is wonderfully original and inventive. The opening sequence is an absolute treasure and sets the tone so perfectly for what is to come that a précis wouldn’t do it justice. It just demands to be watched again and again. The production values throughout are fantastic. The Gravelings look absolutely amazing, as does the effect when George is sat on as a ghost. It’s sharply directed, no doubt, particularly with some audacious keyhole angled shots and so on. But it’s the acting and script where “Dead Like Me” really comes into its own.

Ellen Muth was brave cast considering she is not easily shoehorned into the conventional idea of what “sexy” is (For the record, I think she’s pretty hot). Muth plays George with a real deadpan wit of a “Generation Y” kid who is just jaded and tired of MTV, her teachers and her parents telling who and what she has to be. There is one line about “being on the cusp of adulthood and not knowing who you want to be” that really rang true in her delivery. I’m twenty-one now, so maybe I‘m past the cusp, but I know the feeling. Those opening moments present us with the character of George as a disaffected youth who deals with her fathers cheating in as deadpan a manner as she does losing a few files at work. For all her cynicism and bitterness, that is crammed into her in the first twenty minutes, it’s impossible not to like George. Her quiet dismantling of the interminably happy temp agency lady is a joy to watch for anyone who has had to watch and bite their tongue while some moron in a pin striped suit flicked through their CV. The character of Mason is a little too close to Doyle off “Angel” for my liking but it’s pretty clear that this is George’s show no matter how many loveable rogues are there to guide her new career.

The script is as sharp as anything on TV right now. “Six Feet Under” might have showed us that we could laugh while there is death in the room but “Dead Like Me” takes that to a new level. It’s packed full of quirky one liners that are almost thrown away and lost in the pace of the dialogue. George “excels at not giving a ****” and “some (college) seemed like enough”. The language is great and refreshing in this conservative day and age. I was delighted that Sky decided to run the show unedited and without cuts to the bad language. When a stray toilet seat is about to hit you, you don’t say, “oh gosh darn it”, you swear! When somebody is pestering you for your middle name in the busy streets you don’t plead, “well gee whiz, could you just pardon me as I run away?” you tell them to **** off! The use of “bad” language coupled with already believable dialogue gives “Dead like Me” an even more real feeling.

Some may argue that “Dead Like Me” is too downbeat, dealing only in tragedy and heartbreak. The central theme would appear to be the futility of life. We’re led to believe that our expiration date is written even before we are born. So the future isn’t only pencilled in, it’s written. And so god, or whatever, is playing a game with his own creation. So what? Does that make us puppets? Pawns for some cosmic forces? Perhaps. But I find that oddly comforting. "If nothing we do ultimately matters, then all that matters is what we do" when we have the chance. George found that out after death. Luckily that wasn’t too late.

Last edited by Stake on 20-09-2003 at 00:20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I normally don't follow stuff on telly.. like soaps, comedies, real life shows... I watch cartoons for lack of decent entertainment on the box...

but I love 'Dead like me' ... I watched the ending of last the last series last night... ended on the first anniversary of George's death.. the show is genius ... with out being heavy ... its witty.

there was a new character introduced last night.. a homeless kid that was a reaper for pets... it so leaded on to a second series...

http://www.deadlikemeonline.net/

... and there is a second series.... excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

I personally thought it was a bit pretentious, it's better than some things on tv .ie gardening shows but it's not really that funny and it's kind of boring some times. I've watched several episodes and i'm amazed how a show can be so uninteresting.

that is all
    De faust

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Faust, its horses for courses type show. I can see your point, one or two shows failed to hit the mark.

But overall it was clever and delivered in my opinion some good TV.

Advertisement