Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of MSN Messanger - What Now?

Options
  • 09-11-2003 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

With Microsoft decision to close off MSN messager, I'm like a crab out of shell.
    Whats the most popular Chat software (webcam supporting) on the market?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Weh ?

Tell me more on this CLOSING of MSN messenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

theres always yahoo i think there not going ahead with getting rid of there messeging just making it safer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

They're stopping the chat rooms, not messenger itself. Otherwise they'd hardly be heralding Messenger 6.1. Just notice there's no mention of chat rooms. The function's still there, but try to use them and see what happens.

Prefer YM myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BolloXed

LOL
    how the hell did u get that confuseD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Stop scaremongering!!! M$ is turning off Windows messenger (a background service on Windows NT) by default on new releases/Service Packs of its OS. This is because of the increasing use/abuse of the service to relay ads to the users of such OSs.

The theory goes that anyone who needs/uses it will have the knowledge of how to turn it on.

MSN messenger is not affected.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

thank f**k for that :rolleyes:
    i almost had a freak attack at the idea of msn messenger goin down....what would i do all day in work (i work in an internet cafe you know *meep*)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Despite all the slagging Messenger Gets, its one of the best, and easiest to use Instant Messengers.

All it needs now is SMS like ICQ, and It would be perfect.

Id be lost without it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh great - if windows messanger gets turned off by default - how am I going to tell everyone the exchange server needs to be rebooted again :(

Yes I can turn it on - but M$ have so many services that install by themselves it will probably get turned off at whim by the OS.

And all because the ISP's won't block a port ....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what a shock i got when i read the title...

you really shouldn't scare me like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

the idea is to crack down on anonymous chat rooms that attract everyone from kids to sickos - your messenger is your own - you can still chat to all your contacts in your address book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Didn't know there was such a great following for msn messenger. ICQ lite is much better. It is one of the first instant messaging services. And with free sms u can't go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

isn't ICQ riddled with spyware and adware?

like to keep my system clean of that if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Just use GAIM and connect to any network that you want to. All at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.trillian.cc i found was the best.
    Worth buying too.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't confuse those messenger popups that appear sometimes on your desktop with MSN messenger or Windows messenger. MSN messenger is your chat application, Windows messenger is a variation of MSN messenger. Version 4.7 of Windows Messenger was MSN Messenger for XP. The new version 5.0 of Windows Messenger is like MSN Messenger but for use with exchange servers and stuff instead of Passport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Oh great - if windows messanger gets turned off by default - how am I going to tell everyone the exchange server needs to be rebooted again :(

Use a netsend...

Much easier... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by KdjaC
    www.trillian.cc i found was the best.
    Worth buying too.

kdjac

Agreed.

Its visably allot smaller than msn messenger, better layed out and more customisable.

I can do MSN, ICQ, Yahoo Chat, AIM and IRC all at once and you can get quite some cool plugins and skins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Use a netsend...

Much easier... :D

I think net send was the thing that microsoft were disabling, that's how most of those annoying popup messages come. It often gets confused with MSN/Windows Messenger because of the "Messenger Service" caption in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I use msn messenger all the time and i used to able to use Yahoo as well but now it makes my computer crash. why is this?

Advertisement