Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which would be the best isp to go with for Xbox Live

• 09-11-2003 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Going to get broadband and xbox live just wondering which company would be the best to go with for broadband connection thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

IMO eircom, but the cap may be an issue for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Why would the cap be an issue with him - it's not as if he'll be downloading GBs of data with Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Probably doesnt make much difference between IOL and Eircom tho IOL are official people or something according to XBOX

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Why would the cap be an issue with him - it's not as if he'll be downloading GBs of data with Live?

he's not going to be using Broadband just for gaming, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if its just for gaming, and maybe some light downloads, IOL are the way to go. 8gb cap is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Eircom have the best pings and apparently are going to raise their cap on their RADSL package to 6GB which will be well more than you are going to need. An hour session purely playing games will take up around 10mb, and u have 6000mb so thats 600 hours of live a month, and if your sum what human itll be impossible to use it up. But downloading is another issue i guess.
    Then again you could always get IOLBB and get a 8GB cap up to u.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Eircom have the best pings and apparently are going to raise their cap on their RADSL package to 6GB which will be well more than you are going to need.

First Eircoms and IOL's pings are almost exactly the same (and Netsource are about the same now also, don't know about UTV).

Where did you get Eircom increasing the cap from, maybe you are confusing it with Eircom ADSL (the e106 product, not RADSL) which has a 6GB CAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I will be using it mainly for Xbox live but I would be still using it to download stuff aswell so Iol would be the best your saying,
    see I was at the toys for big boys show yesterday and i just saw Xbox live being used with eircom broadband but I say thats just a deal between microsoft and eircom, so Iol and eircom or the same except Iol is 5 cheaper and 8gb'a month download. Iol seems the best offer but I want the best connection for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I use IOL and its the same pings as Eircom. Only real difference i've noticed is that the voice of lads on a eircom connection seem to break up more.

We'll the rest of the english can hear me, they can't sometimes hear the eircom lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i have just got confirmation that my utv account will be set up soon, please don't tell me that utv is no good for xbox live??????

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tlachta
    i have just got confirmation that my utv account will be set up soon, please don't tell me that utv is no good for xbox live??????

not sure, but Utv Isdn was not top notch. I haven't really heard how utv's Dsl pings are to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Check to see if you can get NTL!

They are the cheapest and fastest. They are also bringing out a 1MB line at the start of 2004 for 54 euros a month. Thats what eircom charge for a 512KB line. They have a 30GB monthly limit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

I would recommend going with Eircom, considering the Caymen Netopia modem they provide you with, has a USB and Ethernet connection, so you can hook up your P.C and Xbox on the same modem, on the same Broadband connection, and never have to touch the wiring again.

Pity you already have an Xbox, they're going for €100 with EircomBroadband in the 3G stores.

Visi.

Just after ordering eircom broadband and should be here in 10 to 15 days the women said.

I was just wondering can you plug the modem in to any phone line in the house if i want to move it upstairs to my xbox in my room and then back down to the computer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by visigoth
    Pity you already have an Xbox, they're going for €100 with EircomBroadband in the 3G stores.
    Any webpage with more details about that?

I dont think there is any webpage just drop in to any of the eircom stores I saw the offer myself the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

doesn't matter which phone line you put into the back of the modem, but instead of moving it up and down all the time, you would be better off just leaving it beside your P.C, connected through USB to your P.C, then get an extra long Ethernet Cable and run it upstairs to your Xbox.

Anyone know if there is a max length for Ethernet Cables? I don't know about THAT one.

Visi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

NTL, Eircom and Esat have all got partnership agreements with Microsoft on XBOX Live. So it shouldnt really matter from a gaming perspective which one you go for.

As for the max length of an Ethernet cable, you shouldnt have too much trouble as it is 100 mtrs.

Bio

Just say I went for a Wireless network which one would be the best for the job.

I wouldn't know much about wireless networks, are they easy to set-up and do they cost much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

tlachta
    I have UTV and works perfectly fine. Get 55kb downloads and the pings where i play are usually 50-55 and i can even get 45.
    They also have that special offer going so good choice tlachta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

doesn't matter which phone line you put into the back of the modem, but instead of moving it up and down all the time, you would be better off just leaving it beside your P.C, connected through USB to your P.C, then get an extra long Ethernet Cable and run it upstairs to your Xbox.

I'd suggest getting a router. Most of them will give you a builtin firewall, which is very very useful. They aren't very expensive (check www.komplett.ie for prices), and it avoids having to use USB or move modems around.
    Anyone know if there is a max length for Ethernet Cables?

Around 100m for CAT5 (standard network cable), if I remember my networking essentials correctly :)
    I wouldn't know much about wireless networks, are they easy to set-up and do they cost much

Yes and not much :)
    Check komplett.ie for prices.

The difficult part is not setting it up, but securing it. The 802.11b protocol is vulnarable. If someone sniffs the data for long enough, they will be able to get you key, and if the router is configured incorrectly, they can connect to your WiFi router and use your internet connect without you realizing. Do some searches on google for wardriving (I think thats what its called), and you'll see :)

I'd suggest you lock the router on mac-addresses, and get something that supports 802.11g. This may be tedious, but I wouldn't say difficult. Like anything else with computers, read manuals and ask on forums :)

Advertisement