Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Driving Test ?

Options
  • 09-11-2003 2:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since the cost of a driving test €30 works out at less than one weeks insurance for many drivers,
    and since insurance companies are blaming poor driving standards for high costs,
    should private test centres (a lá NCT) be setup where you can go and do a test to demonstrate proficiency at driving at fairly short notice ?

While the cert would have no legal meaning - if insurers and employers recognised it...

Plan would be to get 100,00 drivers tested and then ask the Govt to ratify them ;)

PS. any info on places doing the Advanced test and do insurance companies here offer any discount if you have it ?

Do irish insurers offer any realistic discount on car insurance if you have a higher class of license ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I did a certified defensive driving course with a previous employer while I was on the companies group insurance. When I went to get a quote for personal insurance it didn't make the slightest bit of difference (they actually said it made no difference). Short of having a sex change op, it appears you just have to grin and bear it if you're male. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you pass the Advanced Driving test with the Institute of Advanced motorists, you can get a 30% discount for life on top of your no-claims from Hibernian. Test costs about €85. I'll let you know how hard it was about 4pm on Saturday :)

www.advancedmotorists.ie
    www.hiberniandirect.ie

It's amazing what you can find in the myriad of boards here. On the MIJAG board : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

the driving instructors have a union behind them, they wouldnt allow tested from NI or UK to work here just a few of their retired mates.

The unions have this country by the balls if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand there are plans to privateise the test.

Advertisement