Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter quidditch irish offence

Options
  • 09-11-2003 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Ok ignore all the cash in complaints u would expect from a title like this...

This is a much more personal complaint. Those who have read harry potter dont be shy (*notices the lack of reponse) ok those who would like to pretend they dont read HP but have cough (a few muffled coughs) GOOD...

anyway quidditch...This game will not offend most harry potter fans but it will offend a few of them who look for accurate portrayel...why? Cause the best team according to the book has been excluded from the game.

In the 4th harry potter book (gee i sound like such a trekkie geeks sort of person) The world cup final is played between Bulgaria and Ireland. Ireland wins (yay)

BUT in the game

Ireland is excluded...not available removed erased.

They are replaced by USA (typical)

yes Bulgaria is still there so alot of fans are happy but the bloody best team according to the book is not which i think is a bit lazy/inconsiderete.

Instead to put in USA which are not even mentioned in the book. I guess its playing to the market but i was still annoyed that the only sport thats (admittably not real) World known that irelands THE BEST at and they wont put us in the game.

REVOLT REVOLT!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You are so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

aha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Try Bored...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I dunno. I don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Harry Potter? Book? Quiditch? I need a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I haven't played it and hope I never do. However I am quite alarmed at the amount of ads I'm seeing for it on TV. I bet I wont even see one ad for Mario Kart : Double Dash. What is the world coming to I ask you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

that is the most annoying thing i have heard all week, and i've never even read Harry Potter. Damn American's think they own the world. Oh wait, they do!!! nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Rearrange these words into a phrase that should be very familiar to you:

Life

A

Get

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Now, now settle down. It's still a game and this is the Games forum where we bitch and moan about games whatever they're about. So less coming up with "amusing" variations of accusing Blitzkrieg of not having a life, and more discussion of this game.

(And no, I'm not a Harry Potter fan as I have yet to read any of them.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

they probably think that it won't sell much in Ireland due to us ... er ... having the hightest PS take up in the world, .... and er .... loving the books as much as anyone (I don't but I am sure others do .. *cough*)

Stupid EA

This does seem a bit strange. You could always mail them, find the email address of someone in PR, pretend you are something like the "Irish Harry Potter User Group" and say you are boycotting the game.

And to all the nerds sitting in their underwear posting on this thread that people should get a life ... please!! Anyone who feels the need to tell someone to get a life on an Internet Bullietten Board should ... er .. get a life damn it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

the true plot here is that the USA quite simply felt threatened by the empirical ambitions of this proud island so they needed to squash the “axis of legitimate competition” :D.

After all, think about how many Irish have ruled their country in the past few decades!!!

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

<cartman|gandalf> What are you guys playing?
    <other_kid> Harry Potter
    ...pause...
    <cartman|gandalf> Hah! FAGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

this pisses me off.(america wonders why other countries hate them) well theirs ur answer leaving them out of sport or magic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

What kind of FPS would I get with a Voodoo5 on the PC version of Harry Potter???

O...K It looks really sad great yeah so what.

I read the books (and dont lie some people here did too) And its not because i wanted the team in for national or fanboy reasons its just its blatant marketing and audience affecting the product. This kind of thing sickens me in most products but after the 2 harry potter films and the other games i had an impression that the franchise was too popular in its original form to risk changing it in anyway, but finally after 2 films and 2 games they do and it seems over the most trivial thing. Why they remove the country alltogether? Why not have ireland and USA. I mean u dont see FiFA cutting out Ireland cause 'The market audiance is bigger elsewhere' Yet in this game which is trying to pass itself of as a sport/fantasy mixture decides No. We'll add loads of countries not mentioned in the books and remove the one the book names as the best...

Personally i expected a more open conversation on this type of marketing affecting products rather then just laughing at me...

*Other examples of marketing affecting products

-League of Xtraordinary (crap) gentlemen. Addition of American character to link USA into the plot and make the american audience feel better.

-Command and conquer Generals (does it need to be xplained?) George Bushes lower jaw...

Just downloaded the demo hoping that there would be enough content to keep my 7 year old niece happy with all the advertising being thrown at her, and its all video with about 2 mins worth of playing. At 256MB size demo im pretty pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I hope you write away to EA complaining abou this.

where do i write?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How about this, taken from the game's press release:

PR Manager Director of Media Relations
    PH: 650-628-7577 PH: 650-628-7702
    tmcdowd@ea.com jwong@ea.com

Go get 'em!!! :)

• Advertisement

Dear Sir,

Just for the sake of your customers if you are releasing a file entitled Quiditch world cup Demo, that is 250MB in size, it would be helpful to state that 98% of this is infact a promotional video and that there is only approximately 2 minutes of gameplay.

Yours Sincerley

....... Just been sent......... Ha! take that snooty anti Irish crap demo making executives..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

it's not actually funny... but I am in stiches here... ha ha ha... :D

The Duke : ))

Dear sir

Your recent Harry Potter Quidditch world cup title for numerous consoles has offended many of our members due to inaccuracies in your product. The title lacks the Irish Quidditch team whom in the fourth book was made world champions and was one of four world teams that were actually named in the book. Your products lack of the team which was named the world champions has offended many of our younger members who feel that the harry potter franchise cares less for the books fans and for their home country which they were proud of its entry in the book. I ask that in future versions of the game that you include the teams that the book names as well as any team you add yourselves.

thank you

Connla Lyons

Being the boring person i am i did it too xcept i pretended to be the harry potter fan club :D:D:D

maybe they'll send us free stuff as an apology :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yea maybe we could get a special version of the demo that contains the Irish team..... on the bench.

On a more serious note this is typical, of the kind of oversight that occurs with all Irish culture except for drinking. For the love of God Ireland is more than a pub in Europe, we are an example for other countrys out there.

Its not that I will play this game but for the kids that will play it dont you think that they should be allowed to play with their own country?

So in conclusion Quidittich is far too silly a game for Irish People to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This makes very annoyed especially with all the adverts in Ireland being shoved down our throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

BAN THE GAME NOW!

> angry mob follows me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i was gonna empathise but you lost me right about here
    gee i sound like such a trekkie geeks sort of person

:)

P.S i've read em all (insert evil laugh here)

Advertisement