Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering new RAM for a Dell.

• 09-11-2003 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to upgrade the ram in my old dell, to 256 (from 128).

It takes RDRAM, but I have no Idea of the clock speed or anything really.

Dell have something on their website that tells you about the PC but it never mentions what ram is suitable.

It does says that the speed of the PC.

It says 1.4ghz for internal Clock speed, and 100mhz for External (which I presume is the RAM speed)

Now, I can't find any 100mhz RDRAM, but I want to find out if this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=106591&p=&t=483&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=2&cks=PRL will work.

I know it's 400mhz, but will it run at 100mhz or will it explode :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd say it's more likely to be sdram...
    try downloading sisoft sandra , it should give you a lot more info on your current ram than the crappy dell website.
    chances are there's a stick of pc100 ram in there already, if you can't find a 256mb stick of pc100, pc133 should do the trick (albiet, only running at pc100 speeds...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I found out what it is,

RDRAM PC800.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dell usually sell on third party memory (eg: Viking/Kingston)
    It's the chipset that matters most..

Have a look at markings on the existing memory - you are going to have to open the case anyway to fit the new stuff.
    also note how many slots you have free.

If you put the tag in and look up the specs or docs it will tell you the spec of the memory - but you have to dig or download pdf's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chances are that by working through the dropdowns by PCmanufacturer/model at www.crucial.com/uk/ you'll find exactly what you're looking for (& probably cheaper than buying direct from Dell too - plus every micron module is tested, not so with kingston)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I know for a fact that kingston makes nearly all of Dells memory. If you buy from them its guareenteed to work and cheaper than Dell ( even thp its exactly the same thing )

Mind yoy crucial is probally cheaper again and will more than likley work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what the name of that place in leixlip something.co.uk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

www.4allmemory.com has all Dells. and RAM that would work

Advertisement