Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozilla Firebird + boards.ie = plop

Options
  • 09-11-2003 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Justed moved from IE6 (which was starting to drive me nuts) to Mozilla Firebird. But having done so I've noticed that boards.ie isn't 100% compatible with it in terms of how things appear on screen:

Here's some examples:

borked1.jpg

borked2.jpg

borked3.jpg

Who do I blame?
    I want a refund!!* :D

* My jokes reach a new low...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I'm also suffering from problems with the drop down menu's. They either are lower than they should be( hovering in the first post of the page) or aren't there at all.

Its not possible to click on them either.

The home page works fine

I'm using opera 7.2 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Janey, you're pernickity. :o)

What's a little overlap if it works okay.

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

mmmm ... l33t MS Paint.

One thing i always find annoying is that text area for positng. Can it be made wider in anyway? I find it way too narrow. Simple change to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by p
    Janey, you're pernickity. :o)

What's a little overlap if it works okay.

hehe

It doesn't work ok for me. That was my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Using it now, so I'm not the only one who noticed this. Sometimes I've also noticed bits of the page just disappear- eg, the smilies aren't always there. Used to be a lot of problems with Opera too if I recall correctly. I suppose that'll teach us for not browsing the proper microsoft way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Firebird works fine for me. What firebird version and OSs are ye using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by ecksor
    Firebird works fine for me. What firebird version and OSs are ye using?
    firebird.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

DMT, are the problems you're seeing just the cosmetic ones you point out above?

Originally posted by ecksor
    DMT, are the problems you're seeing just the cosmetic ones you point out above?
    Yes, that's all - there's no problem posting or anything like that from what I've seen so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there's a nice gap on the area shown in your first pic if you switch to the minimalist skin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

you're all microsoft heathons!:rolleyes: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I had this problem months ago, but it all seems fixed since the new menus were added.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20031107 Firebird/0.7+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Winters
    I find it way too narrow.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have exactly the same problem with firebird (and netscape and mozilla).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Firebird 7.0 woking ok here but the reply windows is very narrow like Winters said.

Opera is useless for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by The_Edge
    Opera is useless for boards.ie
    For fy?

I use opera and find it grand (that "open in background" thing that IE doesn't have is rather handy (yes, yes, I know Moz has it too))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The textarea issue can be corrected by the admins: Log into admin and choose Modify from the Styles menu, then for each style make the Textarea Width for Netscape Navigator 6.0 the same as for Internet Explorer. See this post on MozillaZine for more detail -- you'll find a user-level fix on that forum too, but it would be nice to see it fixed on the site.

The menus aren't as bad for me as they are for the thread starter, but they are a bit too close to the crumb for my liking (see attachment).

adam

Can you change the text area width for Mozilla as mentioned in the above post ...

I have finally 100% moved to Mozilla [after half using it and IE] and the small text area is really starting to bug me. Nearly makes me want to go back to IE (:o I really dont want to ... )

The dropdown menu is also on the overlap for me too btw ..

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

I'm running Firebird in Linux at the moment so I'd like to see this fixed too. It'll take all of about five minutes.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Default" style updated. Can you non-conformist-browser-users feedback and tell me if its better for you now? :)

See adam... we do care.

DeV.

• Advertisement

That's the job, thanks DeVore. And don't get me started... :)

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres a way of *not* starting you?! :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Here's a comparison shot - the reply box is still wider in IE than FB, but its not really worth complainig about. Just an FYI :)

http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~maxhead/ie-vs-fb.jpg

Originally posted by DeVore
    Theres a way of *not* starting you?!
    There's a little switch on the back of my neck. It's getting to it is the problem...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by DeVore
    "Default" style updated. Can you non-conformist-browser-users feedback and tell me if its better for you now? :)

See adam... we do care.

DeV.

oh shit DeV what are you doing.

Here I am using Slackware Linux and obscure but usable Firebird.... and I'm feeling leet because my browser has some quirks with boards....

And then you fix it.

I'm going to have start browsing in lynx on Solaris x86.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Oh that's much better. Nice being able to type more than three words on a line. :)

I widened all of them because I always felt the box was a bit too small anyway. So there is probably a discrepancy between them as they all render it differently (of course).

Glad to help.

DeV.

Hurrah, nice and wide. Thank you DeV...

.. though maybe even wider might be nice ;)

These bugs have now been fixed in the renamed Mozilla FireFox 0.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nice of you to dig that up for us

Advertisement