Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with LC Japanese?

Options
  • 09-11-2003 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

What's going on here? I want to take the subject but I can't find much on it. The State Exam Commission site has a marking scheme for the 2003 paper, but no damn paper itself.

Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A guy in my course did it for his leaving cert. I don't know of any schools that do it though, so it'd have to be in your own time. I'm 6 weeks (42hours of Japanese lectures) into my college course of Japanese and am supposedly around LC standard, so it's not *too* difficult.

It really only lays the foundations for the language, you won't have a great command of it (as you would have with LC french or german) and as such, I'm not sure how useful it is. All universities assume no prior knowledge of japanese for their courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Yeah, I plan to go ahead into a college course in Japanese but I know a good bit of the language already from various courses I've taken.

Does the guy who did it know of the main syllabus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its roughly the level of JPT4 (or probably less advanced). There's Hiragana, Katakana and some Kanji on it.

I think he pretty much learned through 'teach yourself' type books and manga though. I'm not sure he even knew what was on the course until he looked at the exam paper.

If you are doing a college course on Japanese, I don't think doing it for the LC won't have any long-term advantage. (BUT: You will be able to bum off lectures for a few weeks and not feel guilty :))

Anyway, I'll ask him and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Okay, thanks.

Advertisement