Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Reg Plate Heads Up

Options
  • 09-11-2003 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Well had the car NCT'ed at last on Friday. Was worried it would fail as its 95D and there had to be some work done refitting the headlamps and obviously refocussing them.

Luckly it got thru the mechanical tests but it was failed.

The car was failed because I didn't have "Baile Atha Cliath" on it above the number. Now forgive me for my ignorance but afaik the NCT was suppost to improve the mechanical standard of cars on the road, does that "Baile Atha Cliath" allow me to break quicker in an emergancy or is it extra wind efficient !!! The number plate I have has "IRL" and the European Community symbol on it.

So just a heads up make sure you have "Your county name in Irish" above the reg number.

I have ordered the new plates and at least I don't have to pay again for the test, just waste more of my time !!!

Gandalf.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Now forgive me for my ignorance but afaik the NCT was suppost to improve the mechanical standard of cars on the road, does that "Baile Atha Cliath" allow me to break quicker in an emergancy or is it extra wind efficient !!!

ROFL! :D:D

Tis a bit stupid alright. My car's plates also doesn't have the Baile Atha Cliath above the number either. Though come test-time I have the original crap metal ones with all "relevant" writing.

Knowing my luck, my car will fail for more than just incorrect plates :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My plates are incorrect also (car is a 1989 but must still comply with the letter size, etc.).
    I plan of getting a set of plates and stick them on with masking tape.
    Lets see ya fail that ya bastard :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If a car was first registered (in Irl or abroad) on or after January 1991, it must have Euro plates.
    However, if you car was first registered in 1989, it can have the older larger lettering (i.e. not Euro plates) on the plates.

Please note that reg plates can also be failed for having figures which are not high enough !!!

I kid you not.
    All letters and numbers MUST be 70mm high.
    Not 62mm, not 68mm but 70mm.

I heard of a guy who failed because his plates figures were 63mm high !

(N.B. There is an exemption for used Jap imports which have smaller rear plates. But they still have to conform to a minimum height)

Advertisement