Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Player needed.

Options
  • 09-11-2003 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

I have an old Wharfdale 750 which doesn't play anything I want it to play so I'm looking into getting a new DVD player.

I've checked www.dvdrhelp.com for different players and there are some really good ones but I'm not sure if they're available in Ireland so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for something that plays with good quality obviously but will also play:

DVD -r/rw
    DVD +r/rw
    MP3

The most important things is that it should be quite cheap (there's lots of cheap drives that seem to be quite good) and it must play most anything I throw at it. SVCDs etc aren't very important to me, it's mainly the DVD media that is of concern.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

Powercity have a Scott 839 player for 59 euros that meet all your needs and has built in 5.1 decoder output, bargain , it's listed on the dvdrhelp site aswell,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by huh!
    Powercity have a Scott 839 player for 59 euros that meet all your needs and has built in 5.1 decoder output, bargain , it's listed on the dvdrhelp site aswell,

Thanks. I'd actually seen that offer already but couldn't find it on DVDRhelp. I'll check again now.

EDIT: Found it (dvdrhelp keeps killing it's search pages half way through :( ). Seems like a good machine but some of the comments say it has problems with DVD-R...which will be my main source of disc, with possibly DVD+R too.

Any other suggestions anyone?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by chabsey
    Seems like a good machine but some of the comments say it has problems with DVD-R...which will be my main source of disc, with possibly DVD+R too.

One of the lads in work bought the Scott player recently from Powercity, and I gave him a loan of a few of my DVD-R "backup" films (didn't want to release my precious originals).
    They played no problem.

Can't comment on DVD+R though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Panasonic S35

This bad boy is down to E149, In places like argos etc.
    Plays any disc i ever put near it. great looking and great On screen menu's

Great reviews from all the websites and mags.

Worth every penny.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

plays dvd-r/-rw not sure about +r/rw cos i only use -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Panasonic S35

This bad boy is down to E149, In places like argos etc.
    Plays any disc i ever put near it. great looking and great On screen menu's

Great reviews from all the websites and mags.

Worth every penny.

Sean
    Is this multi-region? Can't seem to find a difinitive answer!

BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is this multi-region? Can't seem to find a difinitive answer!

As far as i can see its not possible to crack it with the standard remote or code, but certain shops can do it for you.

Such a sweet player though!

Sean

Thanks ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah it's a great drive and well priced. It doesn't support +R/RW though does support DVD-RAM.

Originally posted by sikes
    plays dvd-r/-rw not sure about +r/rw cos i only use -

Sorry, which of the two are you talking about? Not being rude, just confused :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I go the scott 839 and it does not play verbatim dvd+rs, "backed-up" with dvdXcopy on a NEC 1300
    I have not checked out dvd+rw or dvd-r, dvd-rw yet, but my preferred media is dvd+r as my other units are capable of playing them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    As far as i can see its not possible to crack it with the standard remote or code, but certain shops can do it for you.
    What shops in dublin do this? I presume Peats would - any others, and how much would this cost?

Thanks,
    BM.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by boogie man
    What shops in dublin do this? I presume Peats would - any others, and how much would this cost?

Don't know about shops, but www.dvdireland.com will do it.
    However, their price at €75.00 is not cheap.
    The S35 is apparently an awkward bastard to make region free (unless you have the Panasonic engineer terminal/remote thingy).

Just for information...I went to Power City and saw the Scott 839. Looked too much like the old Wharfdale in terms of size and design (big, bulky) so I took a chance on a player made by DMtech. Yes, the famous DMtech, leaders in DVD technology.

Well it plays DVD-r perfectly, all my MP3s and as a bonus also plays CDs with Jpegs burned onto it via a variety of different slide shows!

All this for 69 euros! So I'm happy enough so far. Will test DVD+r today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Amazon have the Toshiba SD330 for GBP80.00 here .

This player won a Best Buy award from What HiFi this year and the total I paid after delivery and currency exchange was EUR150.00.

Advertisement