Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Engine Oil?

Options
  • 09-11-2003 10:02pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Just wondering what any of you would recommend as good oil for a 95 Corsa 1.2L? It's due an oil change and there is a local Auto Factors with 33% off sale! Which is usually best? Some say Duckhams is good, others say Castrol.

I have seen adverts for Castrol Magnatec, where the oil apparently clings to engine parts, meaning it's easier on the engine when it's cold. Any truth in this or has anyone used the stuff?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Brand doesn't make much difference. Castrol, Duckhams, Mobil, Valvoline and other well know brands are much of a muchness. I would tend to avoid cheapo no-name brands though.

Features such as "Magnatec" are just gimmicks IMO. What's really important is the viscosity of the oil and whether it's mineral, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic. Look in your car's handbook - it will give you info on what type of oil is required.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Bardahl!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I always use Duckhams QXR semi-synthetic oil (1.4L OHC engine).

I've seen the result of using Castrol - not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I use Bardahl 10w40 semi syn. as well, tis good stuff and is reasonably priced as well. Mobil 1 is actually the best oil but its very pricey.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for the replies. Considering the car's age, I want to use decent oil. I guess I will go for Duckhams or Bardahl.

BTW, what's the benefits, if any, with semi-synthetic over standard oil?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Byte, don't belive the hype! Buy 5 litres of 15/40
    of whatever major brand you spot. Do not use a low viscosity full synthetic of the very expensive 5/50 variety
    as this will drop straight through the "gaps" in your engine!

Low performance machines dont need any special fettling even though we can all fool ourselves it'll make a difference for the better.

Mike.

byte

OK, thanks for the reply. I'll bear all in mind

Does anyone change the oil themselves? I guess it would just be a case of draining the oil, replace the filter, and fill up with oil again? Is there any other things that need doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

15w40 for my 94 Corsa.... can be a wee bit thirsty, mind. It needs topping up every two weeks or so.

This is how I changed my oil the last time I bothered...

Find funnel
    Find old kitchen "marrigold" gloves (ask your mum!)
    Buy oil filter and tray to catch oil...

Warm engine as oil drains better.

Remove the oil filler cap at on cylinder head

Locate oil filter which should be at the front (if I remember rightly) twist anti clockwise with both hands round it. Be patient you may have to have a couple of goes...be ready for oil seepage (put card down first).

If successful put old filter carefully to one side (it'll have some oil inside it)

Put on old marrigold gloves.

Locate sump drain plug, find spanner of right size then get underneath having put tray in place first of course.
    Turn spanner slowly until the oil just starts to appear. Now stop. Your proberly on your back at this point, get up and sit down on your knees and locate
    the plug again and then turn until you feel the plug drop
    into the tray and the oil gush forth. (If you stay on your back and reach in and upwards you risk an armful of nasty old oil dripping downwards!)

Old oil is cancer agent!

Remove gloves

Have a cup of tea as the oil drains fully!

Put gloves back on

Fish out the plug and the copper ring from the oil and clean both. Wipe round the drain hole and up plug back in. I would re-use the copper ring (they say you should'nt but its never been a problem for me). Tighten plug.

Empty old filter into tray.

Smear some oil on the face of the new filter and fit tighten by hand until it won't tighten anymore.

Remove gloves.

Put funnel into oil filler hole in cylinder head and pour carefully until 3 litres has gone in, leave to settle then check the dipstick. Add more if required.

Put cap back on filler hole!

Thats about it except for dealing with the old oil. Take that to either (a) a local garage they'll proberly take it or (b) the local recyling centre they should have a facility for old oil.

Phew! That took ages to type out, I dont think I forgot anything! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

semi-synthetic oil doesn't 'break down' as quick as 'normal' engine oils.

• Advertisement
    byte

Thanks for the lengthy reply mike65! Much appreciated. I will make an effort at that this weekend. Seems simple enough. :rolleyes: I would assume Oil filters are standard size for petrol cars?

Nope! They come in different types and sizes, any motor factor will stock Opel Corsa filters just ask for one for a 1995 1.2 petrol engine!

Mike.

byte

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is it normal if a car doesn't need oil topped up? I haven't topped up in about 2 months. The oil level has reduced slightly to halfway between the 2 notches.

A car in good health wont use any oil to speak of, main cause of oil use is leaks or bad block (worn piston rings etc)

Mike.

(I should be charging you 40 euro an hour for this!)

byte

Originally posted by mike65
    (I should be charging you 40 euro an hour for this!)

I had better not ask any more questions then! :)

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! ;)

Advertisement