Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] BT ordered to stop 'dirty tricks'

Options
  • 09-11-2003 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

BT ordered to stop 'dirty tricks'
    By Tim Richardson
    Posted: 07/11/2003 at 17:23 GMT

BT has been ordered to stop using "dirty tricks" to persuade customers from switching phone providers.

In a ruling published today, Oftel upheld a complaint from Thus and Broadsystem Ventures Ltd, and so preventing BT from using information about the transfer of customers to alternative telecoms suppliers such as One.Tel, Tiscali and Tele2.

Oftel found that the UK's dominant telco was using this information for illegal marketing activity.

[...]

It warned that unless BT is able to contact customers, it could open the floodgates for 'slamming', a process where customers are switched phone providers without their knowledge or consent.

[...]
    If Eircom is anything to go by, this can also be read: "Others operators can't be trusted, they'll slam you soon as look at you. BT, on the other hand, would never stoop so low as to lie to our customers. BT is as trustworthy as your lovely granny. We're Cheaper And Better And We Love You. Kiss Kiss."

On that note, I had a call from some marketroid bimbo the other day telling me about some OLO or other and how wonderful they are. Just before I hung up, she spouted the beauty "So you don't want cheaper calls?" I feel ashamed now for letter her go. She needed a lecture. If she rings anyone else, please tell her I've changed my mind and I'd love to talk to them.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

So I can give them your phone number when they ring ? Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I tend to do the "oh really..." lecture depending on my mood .

With regard to BT, they've been in hot water for similar actions before. Oftel gave them a rap on the knuckles a few years ago (before the EU directive came into effect, I'm too lazy to look for a link, I read about it in PCW the month after) when a customer rang up about a billing enquiry, to be asked by the operator (who noticed he was using Freeserve on his bill) if he'd heard of the equivalent BT product, proceeding to give him the hard sell on the BT product. Bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sceptre
    With regard to BT,... when a customer rang up about a billing enquiry, to be asked by the operator (who noticed he was using Freeserve on his bill) if he'd heard of the equivalent BT product, proceeding to give him the hard sell on the BT product. Bold.

In Ireland he'd have run straight into Biddy who would have refused to do anything for him at all. Biddys strengths are pure Denial of Service , thats any kind of service.

M

Advertisement