Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractors

Options
  • 09-11-2003 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

We have the NCT for cars, DOE for trucks, what do we have for tractors? Nothing!

I am sick and tired of seeing tractors on the roads with no lights, number plates, mirrors etc. The list of defects is endless. Why is there absolutly no enforcement of the rules?

I belive that the min age to drive a tractor is 16. Down here it would appear its ok at 12 to drive 40 ton of beet to Carlow with your mates hanging out of the cab. Again no enforcement.

When was the last time you saw a tractor with a valid tax disc? I recall the tractorcade of last year where it was revealed that alot of the tractors had no tax. Stupid.

If I drove my car overloaded, untaxed with no lights or mirrors I am sure the Gardai would be busy for a long time writing up all the offences committed.

The Diffeerence is that tractors get away with it and us ordinary joes get stuffed. Its about time the Gardai startrd enforcing the law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i think its coz tractors were made to be driven on private land. Which means there is no need for tax or insurance?

just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i notice in donegal young ppl drive tractors the youngest was a mates cousin age 8 the tractors up there had no headlights or anything so driving in the dark is a death trap

tractors have to be taxed and insurance just like normal vechiles(sp.) but since there are bearly any law in the country side they get away with it.

off topic a bit when i was in donegal again one of the bars didn't close the whole night it stay open now i ain't complaining but if that happened in dublin or a town the gardai would of been there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

its because the plod won't **** on their own doorstep!
    around the country (more so than dublin) gardai do not properly enforce:-
    drink driving,
    tax & insurance on vehicles,
    wearing of seat belts,
    restraint of kids in vehicles,
    vehicle roadworthiness,
    driver licensing,
    speeding (or lack thereof),
    and more but I am too tired to think.

this is all based on my experience of living down the bog
    (I once was out drinking with a friend and his father. The father was deep in conversation with one of the local guards who after about 5 or 6 pints went off to work)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You are spot on there Mr. Bond !

The amount of tractors on the roads with no lights, mirrors and number plates is ridiculous.
    Even those which do have plates don't have any plate on their trailers.

Case-in-point : Somebody, on another thread here, said that a tractor was in front of him and a large rock fell off it's trailer causing 7.5K of damage to his car. The tractor kept going and he couldn't confirm it's owner because there was no plate on the trailer !!!

16 year olds can even legally drive large tractors with TWO beet trailers attached without passing any driving test :eek:
    (i.e. as long as (if not longer) than an articulated lorry).

And yet somebody who passes their test for a rigid truck, is not licenced to pull a horsebox behind a jeep :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

that was me silvera, I got the ba*tard though and we are will dance in the court room soon enough farmer ba*tard.

End the CAP too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good,

A lump of beet fell from a trailer and did in my windscreen. No chance of getting them. :(

Advertisement