Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Constitutionality of insisting Voters are 18 by The February before an election?

Options
  • 10-11-2003 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Dáil Éireann
    Article 16

2° i All citizens, and
    ii such other persons in the State as may be
    determined by law,
    without distinction of sex who have reached the age of
    eighteen years who are not disqualified by law and
    comply with the provisions of the law relating to the
    election of members of Dáil Éireann, shall have the right
    to vote at an election for members of Dáil Éireann.

Is this not a clash with with the insistence by the government that one is 18 the February before an election in order to register to vote. I'm thinking in terms of the forthcoming local elections to be held this June. Can anyone give an educated (or otherwise) opinion on this matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by pigeonbutler
    and comply with the provisions of the law relating to the
    election of members of Dáil Éireann

A while since I spent any time studying the constitution, but I'm guessing this is the killer line. My thinking is that this line allows for a specified time limit to be put in place to allow for the updating of the electoral register.

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by therecklessone
    A while since I spent any time studying the constitution, but I'm guessing this is the killer line. My thinking is that this line allows for a specified time limit to be put in place to allow for the updating of the electoral register.

Anyone else?
    Are there any links to the rules? Ideally, sufficient notice of the date of the election should be given to allow time for those who will be 18 at the time of the election to register. You could have a system where those 17 or over could register for the vote but a 'valid from' date would be attached to the card based on date of birth. This would insure that they could not vote before their 18th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

woops.
    As dougal wouuld say: I stand corrected.
    I've just checked up the precise details on the electoral register and discovered an 18 year old can apply to be put on the supplement to the register of electors at least 15 working days before the polling date. Pity the authorities don't make that a bit clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement