Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

d-link 504

• 10-11-2003 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

i have just bought one of these for my network as my dsl is comming this week im told . but i have a few small questions what exactly is a nat firstly ?

is it overall a good router ?
    is there anything i should know about it and esat's radsl ?

basicly ive never used anything like this b4 and im wondering what all the settings on it do ? like whats a pppoe etc.

o and dose anyone have a good guide to setting up its firewall ?

thx from a newbi

if this should be in a different forum pls move

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

well as a non teccy person all I can tel you is that it works fine for me. I do have a slight problem with it and that is that the set up screen wont show on my pc for some reason although luckily enough I have an imac and it appears on that. I even tried a second sample of it and it has the same problem.

I did not have to set up the firewall at all it just seems to be there! Maybe I have neglected something! But I have noticed that I get no notifications of attacks from my Norton firewall since I got the router. Whereas before that I get notifications pretty regularly.

The basic setting up involves keying 192.168.0.1 into your browser and that will generally open up the router and get you going with the set up.

I am sure some of the more teccy people on here will provide the other informaton you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

dub45 is you're Internet connection from IOL/ESAT??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i have this router on netsource broadband, its excellent, lovely straight forward setup, and if u ever get technical, it has an awful lot of configuration etc. stuff going on.

two thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I have this router at home and on serveral client sites. It is a good router, but does suffer from overheating, disconnecting and freezing. I disconnected it from my home network as I was suffering from all of the above and went for a Zyxel Prestige 640 as thats been the most reliable we've had in work (one of the sites had this router on for over 380 days before it needed a reboot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by ando
    I have this router at home and on serveral client sites. It is a good router, but does suffer from overheating, disconnecting and freezing.

i just got it going but over the last 2 days that ive had it ive had the above probloms . maby i need a ice pack for her :p

• Advertisement

dub45 is you're Internet connection from IOL/ESAT??.

No I am with clicksilver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've had mine on 24/7 since middle of May, not a single problem to report about it. It has fallen on floor a few times due to my clumsyness and it still survives :):)

Dub45, yes it has a built-in firewall which is good, it can be configured to let certain traffic through but it cannot be turned off.

Only downside to router is that it does not have a power switch ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dub45
    well as a non teccy person all I can tel you is that it works fine for me. I do have a slight problem with it and that is that the set up screen wont show on my pc for some reason although luckily enough I have an imac and it appears on that. I even tried a second sample of it and it has the same problem.
    Your Internet Security Settings in IE are probably preventing the Java applet from loading (or maybe your JVM is having a problem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i found that if u left the [url]http://[/url] login open for any period of time without activity it would crash and require plugging out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I use this router on my home pc set up. I have it on since I got it last September. Never had any problems with over heating or freezing or the like. I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement

Your Internet Security Settings in IE are probably preventing the Java applet from loading (or maybe your JVM is having a problem).

I have tried it with Netscape too and it wont appear - its only the set up page that wont work all the rest appear fine! Very strange

Advertisement