Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1MB NTL Broadband [Merged]

• 10-11-2003 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

I was at the Toys 4 Big Boys show and was asking the NTL guys about when the broadband service, when would it be available in Laraghcon in Lucan and got chatting about the pros and cons of NTL broadband V Eircom broadband and he told me that at the start of the new year they will be bringing out a 1MB line and charging 54 euros a month for it !!!

Thats what Eircom charge for their 512KB line. Has anyone else heard anything about this??? Sounds to good! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

never believe what an NTL sales person tells you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Did he answer the question about whether your area would be upgraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

NTL sales have only a tenuous grip on reality at the best of times, but very occasionally have been right.

don't hold your breath though, because if they had planned on something like that I would have thought they would have concentrated on getting their hardware upgraded first so they have some customers to roll the new product out to.

at the moment, there's about 4 people in tallagh (poor attempt at humour, but not far from the truth) with NTL broadband, so they need to make it available in more areas before they start offering faster services, it wouldn't make any business sense to offer better products to such a small market when they have such a large potential market share they need to build up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by vibe666
    at the moment, there's about 4 people in tallagh (poor attempt at humour, but not far from the truth) with NTL broadband,

wow, that means i know 75% of NTL broadband users..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I don't think i know you Gerard, so that makes me the other 25%:D

I agree that NTL should try to widen their customer base ... but first things first ... I think they should sort out their sales and tech support [although Tech support is getting better] :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

new 1meg service + further roll-out of broadband = congestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I already have NTL broadband and most of my friends in lucan have NTL broadband as well. I was asking him on behalf of a friend who has just moved into this estate (its still being built!) and wants to get the broadband service. He said it would be the start of the new year.

He happens to live in Lucan and is head of the Lucan broadband roll out. As he knew I already had broadband I don't think he was trying to resell to me.

Yes the NTL support is sh*t sh*t sh*t!!!! But I haven't had any problems since it was installed, bar the installation.

If anyone can name a better provider please post a reply.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

out of curiosity i just called ntl and the sales girl told me basically what i had already said.

'i haven't heard anything about a 1mbit service as of yet, and I don't see it happening for quite a while. at least until all (or at least most) areas are upgraded to two way (i.e. for use with cable modems)'. oh, and i also got the 'your area will be upgraded sometime in the next 12 months' speech.

and one final point. just noticed from the ntl.ie website that they have imposed a 1gb per day cap. [joke]must be all those people in lucan and tallagh downloading warez and movies all day.;) [/joke]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

It will be borught out,
    heard from it myself,
    Some people already 'testing' the 1mb new line apparantly

I know what your saying vibe666, you can't believe what they tell you but I just wanted to know if anyone had heard about this 1MB service. I suppose I'll just have to wait!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Well I remember the CableLink website in December 1998 telling that broadband was coming soon.... since then I kept on calling them every six months to get an update and they always says "in the 3 to 6 months".

CableLink was useless and NTL is not better.

So what ever they say now you won't see it for another couple years at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by vibe666
    and one final point. just noticed from the ntl.ie website that they have imposed a 1gb per day cap. [joke]must be all those people in lucan and tallagh downloading warez and movies all day.;) [/joke]

They didn't contact me about that... Though I haven't been doing much downloading recently.

I'm perfectly happy with my 128 line. Wouldn't be arsed paying more to a 1 Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote:
    . . . will be bringing out a 1MB line and charging 54 euros a month for it !!!

Is that 1 megabyte (MB) or 1 megabit (Mb) ???

bit. using a 1mbyte connection with ntl's cap could allow to download at full speed for a whopping 17 minutes per day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

imagine having a 1MBps connection... sweeet :p

just imagine how much por...... *cough*.... I mean educational sites we could goto!!

Originally posted by Lenny
    It will be borught out,
    heard from it myself,
    Some people already 'testing' the 1mb new line apparantly
    it appears that the testing phase is over!

Anyone heard any more news ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This must be a joke! they have only around two areas of Dublin upgraded to two-way and they are now going to offer 1Mb!?!?!, great their numbers will double to 8 ppl with NTL BB - it makes me want to cry:( , 1Mb and my area will be upgraded in 2009:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

as a matter of interest will waterford ever get NTL broadband or am i just asking to much lol

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

i dont know why u all think thats its only tallaght with NTL BB

i am in crumlin and i have had BB with them for the last 6 months
    most of the areas around me are set up for it too
    and as for the surrport i have never had any trouble with them

they gave me an extra TV connection in the house and there 600k line for half price for 12 months

in total i paided for the setup and now all i pay is 20euro a month
    as for the 1GB a day limit that 30GB a month what you get with eircom something like 4GB a month

service has been down once in 6 months and that was when most of europe was down cause of some prob (it was all over the news) so cant blame them for that

anyway i think its great for us that have it cause the less people in one area with it the better the speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

I think the point is that in comparisson to Eircom's service, NTLs reach is minimal. But it certainly covers more than Tallaght.

In fact, afaik, Blanchardstown/west Dublin was the first area to be set up?

Im in Knocklyon and have had it since 22/08/02 (that said, it took me about 4months to get connected from the day the sales guy called to my door). Bar all the hasle in actually getting connected, its been a great service to date, and great value too at €40/month for the 600kb/s.

The list seems to be growing though-
    Blanchardstown
    Tallaght
    Firhouse
    Knocklyon
    Crumlin
    Lucan

Anywhere esle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Enn Say there are currently 4500 cable modems in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Blanch is not supported I just called and asked:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

We've used an NTL leased line in two of our premises. Given that they seem to actively despise their big-money customers, I can't imagine how they treat residential ones.

Really, their support is woeful, as is there attitude towards technical proficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Where are you guys getting the idea that Balanchardstown is supported ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

When I called them about 6months prior to getting connected I was told that only West Dublin, i.e. Blanchardstown, was covered... Guess I was told wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

By west dublin they mean lexlip, lucan, cellbridge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

All I can say, is I have 1 M-bit NTL and it's brilliant. Moves at pretty close to a megabit most of the time, although it can get a bit slow between 7pm and 9pm, but a bit slow means no less than 600kbits. Ping to UK is great, usually less than 20, not so hot to Ireland though. And no cap!

I am living in Belfast though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

i have the 600k service in Templeogue.

Cannot fault the service.

Its also available in Walkinstown

Advertisement