Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1MB NTL Broadband [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    I am living in Belfast though.

That's a diffrent country so it's not as if it applies to us down in bogger-country with our Myopic-Tiger :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i wonder if ntl will still introduce 1meg at €54, given that eircom now plan on dropping the price of their €54 package. maybe a charge of €50, keeping in line with the uk?

either way, €40 for eircom vs €40 for ntl (600k) is sure to cause them some problems. is it even worth their while rolling out broadband across dublin now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by carrotcake
    i wonder if ntl will still introduce 1meg at €54, given that eircom now plan on dropping the price of their €54 package. maybe a charge of €50, keeping in line with the uk?

either way, €40 for eircom vs €40 for ntl (600k) is sure to cause them some problems. is it even worth their while rolling out broadband across dublin now???
    It won't make any difference to NTL. They knew that they couldn't expect oreillycom to keep the price at €54.45 forever, so I doubt it would make much difference to them.

Why would someone choose oreillycom rather than NTL if they're the same price?

good question! if people were more willing to look into their broadband options then there would surely be less i-stream customers than there are today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Eircom €40 vs NTL €40
    4GB vs 30GB
    512kbps vs 600kbps
    48:1 vs 20:1 contention (thanks Civilian_Target)

which would you pick ?

• Advertisement

like i said
    if people were more willing to look into their broadband options then there would surely be less i-stream customers than there are today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by MickFarr
    Eircom €40 vs NTL €40
    4GB vs 30GB
    512kbps vs 600kbps

which would you pick ?

Oh an lets not forget

48:1 contention vs 20:1 max contention
    50-60 ping vs 20 ping

Thanks Civilian_Target I forgot about the contention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podger

..........Eircom..........................NTL.......................... IBB
    ............€40............................€40..........................€35
    ........... 4 GB..........................30GB.........................n/a
    ........512/128 kbs...............600/126 kbs..............512/512 kbs
    ...........48:1..........................20:1..........................20:1

.......need phone...........need basic TV...................n/a
    ........€22 /month.............€18 / month
    ......+€130 Install...........+€100 Install...............€149 Install

....upto 1mb/256ks...................n/a................upto 1m/1m
    ...........4:1...................................................4:1

Apart from the minging antenna, IBB comes in first, especially if you don't want a phone line or cable TV. Also, with the new 3.5Ghz technology the range will increase the requirement for LOS will go, so the antenna can just be on your back wall rather than perched on a 2m pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Podger
    Also, with the new 3.5Ghz technology the range will increase the requirement for LOS will go, so the antenna can just be on your back wall rather than perched on a 2m pole.
    I don't think 3.5GHz will do away with the need for LOS. IBB have an LOS product, and a non-LOS product. There is no fixed antenna for the non-LOS product.

I think if you're getting HomeBreeze, even in the 3.5GHz spectrum, then you'll need Line of Sight to the transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Podger

As the 3.5Ghz range is only being licensed to broadband profiders, they won't be limited in the power they can use, unlike the 2.4Ghz that can be used by all and sundry. This will allow them to pump up the power without effecting other users.
    I take your point that if there is hugh white building in the way there will be issues but in this range and with higher power the signal isn't as susseptible to diffraction from objects like tree, powerlines or adjacent roofs. Also, you shouldn't have interference issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Podger
    As the 3.5Ghz range is only being licensed to broadband profiders, they won't be limited in the power they can use, unlike the 2.4Ghz that can be used by all and sundry. This will allow them to pump up the power without effecting other users.
    I take your point that if there is hugh white building in the way there will be issues but in this range and with higher power the signal isn't as susseptible to diffraction from objects like tree, powerlines or adjacent roofs. Also, you shouldn't have interference issues.

who says they arent doing it at the moment. Since a certain ISP became active in Clondalkin, an existing 1-2km link that was working fine on 2.4ghz can no longer connect to its AP due to the noise from their tower. They seem happy to pump out more power than is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Just noticed that NTL have launched a 1024 kbps/256 kbps service for €50 incl VAT.

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

they actually always had it, just didnt offer it. there was a link doing the rounds a while back that let u enter ur username and pass to upgrade 2 a 1mb line. it was supposed to be for the uk but it worked here 2 and they didnt charge anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Thats a great price for a 1Mb line. If only the service was available to more than 10 people in Dublin.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

aah the joys of being in the ntl broadband area :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The service is launched :-

See post here :- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140127

Mods - may be an idea to merge both posts on this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I currently have the 600 option so I rang them about an upgrade - they will be able to upgrade from Wednesday on to the 1Mb option - all for €10 extra.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Damn that's good. I wish NTL would hurry up and get their ass out to Dublin 15. They're missing out on a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't understand their reluctance to roll out this service to more areas. Are they waiting for competiiton? If they get in there now they would clean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I don't understand their reluctance to roll out this service to more areas. Are they waiting for competiiton? If they get in there now they would clean up.

maybe it has something to do with ntl being in serious debt and dont have the money to expand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I recently got a letter saying that my area was now able to get NTL digital TV. Does this mean i can avail of their broadband aswell? Or are they on different cables?

Please say i can.

Same "cables"

Where are you living Mutant Fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

ballyroan, rathfarnham.

I rang up ntl the minute i read the letter and asked the same question, and i was told that even if i can get the digital tv, i can't get the broadband internet off em, which i thought was odd.

I suppose i'll ring em up and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the upgrade for cable bb is very different than for digital cable and has only been done on a very limited scale by ntl ireland. seems stupid to be upping their offerings for existing customers without getting a bigger userbase, but it's their call.

as for ntl making a loss, it's the UK end of ntl thats losing money. the irish end has been making steady profits for the last 2 or so years, and have in fact to a certain extent been supporting the poor turnover in the UK.

apparently. if i remember rightly, that was posted by somebdy clever in a thread about a year ago.

Originally posted by vibe666
    seems stupid to be upping their offerings for existing customers without getting a bigger userbase, but it's their call.
    how is it stupid? what's stupid is that they didn't launch it at the same time as the uk! the 1meg service has been ready to go for ages, bar the updating of their billing system ;)

Excellent!!! I was wrong, there not charging 54 euros a month, its only going to be 50 !!!! I wonder what eircom would have charged.

I'll be upgrading on Wednesday:D yeehaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just looking through the t and cs for this 1 meg service, whereas before they had in small print hat NTL BB is only available in certain areas of Dublin, now all it says is you need a BB enabled home

Clutching at straws here but its strange theyve changed the wording there lol

Might ring them up for a laugh and see

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

i noticed that the changed their site soon after the xbox live went ..... live. some one said they where trialing BB over standard coax cable, like the normal digital stuff thats everywhere, or pretty much in most of dublin. if that is true, then it may be available soon. i just rang and upgraded my 600k line to a 1mb, but it won be here till wendsday. its not been officially released. a friend got it this morning though. he said hes getting 125k/s download. i cant wait!!!

Advertisement