Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politically correct games?

Options
  • 10-11-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

How come you only play as American soldiers in conflicts they have been involved in? Why is there no Conflict Desert Storm, Iraqi version, or Vietcong 2 vietnamese edition? Obviously the American market is the target audience, but a bit of realistic ballance would go a long way for me. what do people think? would a game like this ever be allowed reach store shelves? After years of playing against Vietnamese / Arab's (in general), could American & european gamers ever turn their skills upon their own virtual selves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Political Correctness has spoiled so many games, its a shame really :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I felt physically sick after playing the iraqi levels of soldier of fortune and C&C generals. I don't mind if a game doesn't take itself seriously with these issues, like say GTA, but the games I mentioned and their like with all the american macho BS could be quite harmful to the industry. I'm amazed that all the bible bashers and fundamentalists didn't pick on these two games (although the iraqi ambassador in american did give out about the iraqi levels in SOF).

I think that the MOH games and operation flashpoint did a very good job of not representing your enemies as the bastard sons of the devil.

On another note I'd love to see a medal of honour from the german point of view. A small part of the new call of duty medal of honour you are playing as a russian soldier so maybe there's some hope.

Just don't get me started on Super Marios magic mushroom habits and his turtle culling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Try Postal 2, it is the most anally politically correct game ever. It's crazy. Great fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Personally i, and my friends were thrilled to be able to play as the germans in BF1942. Not because were swastika waving nazis, but simply because were all sick of constantly playing games from the "good guys" perspective. And to play omaha beach from inside the bunker, letting rip on the higgins boats with an MG42 was just sweet.
    I love the way GTA is so politically incorrect, and doesnt give a damn. (The radio adverts for "Exploder" were a touch of class.."He would've made a fine american...Ill cry when im done killin!") And i can see the politically incorrect type of gaming becoming popular soon, because you can only take so much cheese before you get sick. (I.E the grating U.S patriotism found in Freedom Fighters, MOH Frontline...where were the brits, or the french, or the Russians?? they fought in WWII too, you know!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

DEADWING: I agree wholeheartily with you sentiments about just how PC some games are. And how the like of GTA are a breath of fresh air. You may not have picked up on the sarcasm in the previous post about Postal 2. It is another game with throws PC ness out the window. Its an FPS in which you can shove a cat onto the end of your assault rifle and use it as a silencer. And that's just the tip of the ice-berg.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thankfully all on-line games let you pick the side - this made my first experience of RTCW a real thrill.

However, a point made earlier, these are produced for the American market and lets fact it - they are not particulary renound for seeing another person views - never mind nation, culture, etc.

But what really gets be about all WWII shooters is that the war didn't start until June 44 - I know, being a bit cynical here, but if we want to talk about correctness game developers should face up to the fact that Eastern europe took the brunt of the conflict commencing with 1938 (Austria - Czechoslovakia) for the - or the more offical date of the invasion of Poland - so, if WWII where designed by people that can acutaly think outside of the box the seuqence would be as follows:
    poland
    norway
    france
    uk
    africa
    russia
    . 3 years of conflict where the russian ground down the wehrmacht
    . ohh, look, the yanks have arrived

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

games are games, once parents do their jobs everything is ok haha in a perfect world

do you mean 'raise their kids as respectable human beings' or 'give em' cash to buy cool games' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

There are a number of games that let you play from the a "non-American" side:

The first addon for Op FlashPoint let you play as a Russian.
    In Mafia you played as a mobster.
    Call of Duty (for all its faults) has Russian and British segments.
    H&D2 follows the exploits of the British SAS.
    Of course many online games, like BF1942 and its free addon, DesertCombat (allows you to play as Iraq).

More would be a good thing of course..

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

I was reffering more to single player games, sure online you get to pick either side, but thats the nature of conflict there has to be two or more sides. What bothers me is that in single player games you seldom see beyond the American or Allies point of view. I dont mind this in WW2 shooters, the Germans were the aggressors, and i dont think games should glorify this, but from there on its fair game, certainly if i was Iraqi i would be so pissed to see some of the games American kids play... And yeah there are games set in the states where you act as mobsters and kill other yanks, but there is yet to be one first person shooter single player experience that i know of, where you play a (non yank) character that kills Americans. And it bothers me that this is an extension of the American sense of Morality. They say that the 9/11 bombers used Flight sims to practice the twin towers run, yet not a word that American children sit down at consoles and are actively encouraged to shoot Iraqi's, or Arab's. typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    DEADWING: I agree wholeheartily with you sentiments about just how PC some games are. And how the like of GTA are a breath of fresh air. You may not have picked up on the sarcasm in the previous post about Postal 2. It is another game with throws PC ness out the window. Its an FPS in which you can shove a cat onto the end of your assault rifle and use it as a silencer. And that's just the tip of the ice-berg.

Yeah i heard about postal2, i also heard it wasnt a great game too tho.
    As for the whole only getting to play from the allies perspective in single player games, i know im not the only one whod really love a game played from the German point of view. Think about it, if you were playing as just a regular infantry recruit defending berlin at the close of the war, would that really be so terrible? They were just soldiers obeying orders at the end of the day, much the same as the allies. They werent evil, their superiors were, (if you had "Sim Hitler" as a game i think that would be taking things too far) but i doubt your average Franz cannon fodder was as evil as hollywood would like us to believe.
    And why is it okay to play a game like Conflict: Desert storm, where the yanks were the agressors, and yet unacceptable to play a game where you play as a soldier in the German army? (and lets face it, it'll only be a matter of time before a game based on the latest Iraqi conflict comes out, playing as a yank stomping all over those Iraqi bastards!!) Youll excuse me if i say that a bulls*it double standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

i gots Postal 2 aswell, and eh if people kicked up a fuss about Vice city and its mature content they aint seen ****. But Deadwings right it got ****e reviews, but then again of throwing an anthrax infested cow head at people, Playing footy with human heads or pissing on people is your kinda game its well worth it. Politically games suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

lets all as a fun little game try and think of games that will piss alot of people off...

But back on topic, it can be excused in some games when its noted that the americans had the most 'toys' to play with in most of the games. American kids want BIG toys like helicopters and tanks. Which the vietcong where short on and the iraq's had poor copies of. But the German campaign is no excuse cause the germans had better weapons in almost every aspect of ww2 (note that developers knew this with MOH by giving u a tiger tank...BUT NO NO NO ur not to be a german.) The argument stupid people will say if u play from vietcong or german viewpoint. "OUR PEOPLE DIED IN THESE BATTLES AND YOUR MAKING GAMES SHOOTING THEM ALL OVER AGAIN....(note all stupid people have caps lock on)"

problem with the reply "Were shooting the Grandfathers of german people." is that the germans wont say anything cause *cough* they started it *cough*

of course the best reply is "Its only a game they aint real." the closest to a german side fps would be either: Germans vs Russians cause russians are bad too (despite winning the war) or Germans who defect to the allies...

Strat games are great cause u get to play all sides but your distant from the battle therefore its not wrong...

Anyway games which will be shot down quickly

anything with the word Terrorism that does not involve Stopping Killing or War against... in its title.

personally i would luv a game of the IRA during the anglo-irish war. BUT that would be very political incorrect.

on a interesting note SSI i think are german and if u look through to their really old games they had some great war games from the german viewpoint.

for who's shooting who - it is an irony that we are talking about correct games when FPS games are clearly about blowing away something or someone.

Ironically in the early games such as DOOM and DukeNukm it was monsters so that was ok because it was like hunting.

Then the FPS followed where you shot humans so in any case we should start here and say that this is not ethical - oh, and dump that Rambo colletion too :D.

So, in essence we blokes (and possibly girls) love to spend our past times killing stuff and making sure it looks as real as possible (and always make sure we have the best blood n gore patch).

I think the thread should be called - 'Why those selfrightous Yanks P!ss me off'

As for the evilness of men - my grandfathers faught in war (German). When I asked him why he joined the army in '41 he said that there was less chance of being shot by the russian than by his own people (i.e. if he had not joined as ordered he would have been shot). There are plenty more stories like this where the will to survive is stronger than common sense. Frightening stuff.

In respect to shooting grandfathers - you don't really emotionally connect with any of the characters you shoot (their are just cannon fodder) The only game that is really invovling and gives me that 'that could have been him' shudder is Hidden & Dangerous I & II.

Anyhow, some deep stuff from me :D

Disclaimer: H&D I & II is a superb game, however it is not to be puchased by the pure FPS fan - it is very tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

How about a game where u play as a member of HAMAS and you get pop a few rounds at israeli army guys. It would be good coz it would be challenging - they'd have tanks and shit and all you'd have is AKs and and the odd rpg. Actually i think there is a game like this out. 'Under Ash' or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't recall the Dungeon Keeper series getting much bad publicity, even though you took the role of evil incarnate and brutally subdued an entire kingdom with dark magic, flesh sacrifices, bloody battles and torture...

Damn, but those games were fun. When will DK3 be out? :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone know when Gas-Chamber Tycoon II is out on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

personally i would luv a game of the IRA during the anglo-irish war. BUT that would be very political incorrect.

Well not quite the same thing Blitzkreig (Different Era, different IRA), but there is a mod for rainbow 6 which was on PCZone mag a couple of years ago which let you play as the SAS shooting IRA scumbags in Crossmaglen !

That just gave me a thought... a Battlefield map of Dublin 1916, with the GPO as one base and game on grafton st as the other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Originally posted by Falgorn
    That just gave me a thought... a Battlefield map of Dublin 1916, with the GPO as one base and game on grafton st as the other...

Did they have game in 1916? :rolleyes: :(

that would be cool with a gunboat stationary cannons and jeeps no tanks...

might start a new thread along this line on the battlefield forum cos getting well of topic, but would any mod makers out there be interested in designing such a map?

Advertisement