Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Broadband if the best?

• 10-11-2003 2:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭

I know that there is a post already for the different Broadband services,but i got a bit lost in witch would be the best.
    I`m just trying to get some advice as i really want to signe up and get broadband. - North side ( that should exclude the 4 people on NTL hehe ;) )

I was interested in Netsourse, so i called them up and they told me they dont do services for residential, but only Business.

So i`m out of that one.

I`m looking for No Cap possibly, but i think the best deal i found is

IOL free installation 1 free month and modem but 8gig Cap :(

If anyone can help me out with making up my mind please let me know.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well the only no-cap option would be Irish Broadband but that depends on your coverage area. Its a lot cheaper than using DSL but not as stable for some things it seems. You can read some of the more recent threads about it.

Cheaper than IOL is UTV's offering which has an 8Gb download cap. No upload cap though. €47.50 a month and same as IOL free modem and first month free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, you could look into wireless. www.irishbroadband.ie
    Also, IOL are better than Eircom, so if your going that route then I would recommend them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I see in other threads u signed up to UTV, how do u find the 8 gig, did u ever go past that limit and what happenes if u do?

I had the other UTV service, free off peack and week ends, but i told them to cancel it after 4 months, told my bank to stop them taking money from me and then that was it with them, they kept taking dubble money each month on the CC so they p1st me off and that was it with them.

With irish broadbang, wireless seems like a challange, with the irish weather, u will expect it to be down nearly all the time, and is if games that have a problem with that? U know i like my Counter Strike games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

IOL also offer free Norton Firewall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

has anyone signed up the the wireless broadband? is it reliable?

Visi.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

So should i go for IOL then for sure??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm also thinking of going to IOL. The cap and the cost is a clincher for me.

Does anyone know what the pings are like on IOL...gaming possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Pings are decent (similar to Eircom). Very playable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I got an Esat SME line recently, heres what I reckon so far:

Good points:

- Bandwidth is 512/265 <- bigger upload bandwidth than normal
    - There's no interleaving. Latency to my first hop is <10ms
    - Contention is 20:1 or something nice like that
    - There are no caps/limits etc
    - Esat are a big ISP so there's no penny-pinching when it comes to internet bandwidth unlike Netsource
    - It's a business product so better support/less muppetry (hopefully)
    - I've gone unbundled so I won't have to pay Eircom line rental (need to verify this)
    - Installation was cheap (EUR65 ex VAT) and included a good Ericsson ethernet modem.

Bad points:

- It's expensive - EUR90 ex VAT per month.
    - It's only available on exchanges where Esat have equipment, unlike the other DSL products available.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Dr_Teeth:

can you please give us an update when you know whether you're gonna have to pay Eircomn line rental... What does unbundled in your case mean? I'd love to get rid of line rental ;)

I'm trying to get IOL's first broadband option - 512k/128k with 8gb limit (traffic both way), but I've asked and it's not going to be a problem for me to upgrade later to the SME plan.

God, it's taking SOOOOOOO long to get the guys to send me a modem ;)

Thanks,
    greys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Well I asked to be unbundled (ie DSL only, no voice) and my account manager in Esat says I'm unbundled, so there shouldn't be any more bills from Eircom.

So it looks like I'm rat-free. woot!

Teeth.

Advertisement