Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about thermal paste and GPUs

• 10-11-2003 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Does anyone know which thermal-paste is best suited for GPUs & their respective heatsinks.

I have a GeForce 4 ti4600 which has had it's stock heatsink/fan replaced with a Thermaltake g4 in an attempt to fix the saga that is my on-going display issue.

I put some CoolerMaster Premium compound on, and then stuck it all together and it seemed pretty ****ty, so I dis-assembled the whole thing and re-applied the compound better and it seemed to make a BIG difference, but is still sh*tty, ie. my display is still corrupted and the machine fairly unusable.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did you try heatsinks on the RAM chips also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Giblet
    Did you try heatsinks on the RAM chips also?

The G4 comes with heatsinks for the gfx card RAM.

I also have sinks on my system RAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The cooler master is good for the GPU just don't put on too much. Your case temps must be very high if your GPU is overheating and corrupting your screen as the stock cooler does a more than adequate job of keeping the card cool.

Originally posted by BabyEater
    The cooler master is good for the GPU just don't put on too much. Your case temps must be very high if your GPU is overheating and corrupting your screen as the stock cooler does a more than adequate job of keeping the card cool.

The strange thing is that my case temp is rather cool. I have a Thermaltake Xaser III which has 7 fans (4 intake, 3 outtake) and the built in LCD displatys a temp of around average 25C. I also have everything as tidied away as possible to allow better airflow.

My CPU runs on average about 38C (Athlon XP 1600+) and my MoBo is running about 25/30C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

If you feel like putting some goop on the heatsinks, remember to apply only a very thin layer. Any of the following should do fine:

- OCZ Ultra II
    - Arctic Silver 3
    - Nanotherm PCM+
    - Arctic Silver Ceramique
    - Shin-Etsu G751

• Advertisement

Hmmm .. interesting. Just plugged the card into a machine here in work. First with the heatsink on and the display was corrupted from boot-up.

Then took the heatsink off, so there was also not a great deal of thermalpaste in and around it either, and the machine booted up with a clean display for aboout 15/20 seconds before it went nuts.

So either the card is just buggered, which after a year and a half seems rather strange, or else the thermalpaste is affecting it. Maybe I need /MORE/ thermalpaste, since what had been put on it (which was a thin, even spread) seemed to have been near-gone when I took the heatsink off.

Advertisement