Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6600 GPRS Settings o2

• 10-11-2003 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Guys,

Does anybody have the GPRS settings for o2 Ireland?

I have spoken to o2 and Nokia...nobody can help me!

Apparently it because the 6600 uses TCP/IP protocols!

I have been sent the settings for the 7650 and other models but they don’t work, even manually configuring the phone is not giving me much joy!

Can anybody help??

Thanks,

Jo.King

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

can you say what is happening when you try and connect, any error messages, what does the G symbol do while the connection is being attempted?

also what application(s) that require the connection are you trying to use?

are you bill-monthly or pre-pay and have you been set-up for access to O2's internet access points?

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

can you say what is happening when you try and connect, any error messages, what does the G symbol do while the connection is being attempted?

also what application(s) that require the connection are you trying to use?

are you bill-monthly or pre-pay and have you been set-up for access to O2's internet access points?

BrianG

Hi BrianG,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Here is the sequence of events when i try to log onto o2's GPRS....

I go to the services menu, select O2 GPRS, it asks me to make a connection to the server i select yes. It then goes on to tell me that it is connecting to 'O2 GPRS' when this finished the 'G' in the top left is solid (as opposed to flashing while connecting) with a border around it and the 'G' that was circling the world has now disappeared. It then asks me to select an access point i again select 'O2 GPRS' it then just sits there and does nothing until it gives me an error saying 'Services: unable to perform operation'. I then have to select disconnect to remove the 'g' from the top left of my screen.

The only way i can connect to WAP is if i make a dialup connection and this works, no problem.

My contract with o2 is 'bill monthly' and i used to access GPRS on my old phone (t68i) all the time.

Any ideas??

Cheers,

Jo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by jo.king
    Apparently it because the 6600 uses TCP/IP protocols!
    They all use TCP/IP protocols.
    I have been sent the settings for the 7650 and other models but they don’t work, even manually configuring the phone is not giving me much joy!
    Check the sticky at the top of the board for various operator settings.

if you are just looking to use WAP then let's have a look inside the Access Point connection the WAP (Services) Browser is trying to use: O2 GPRS

Main Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Access points

Select and open the O2 GPRS that appears to be set-up already, can you look inside and say what the Access Point Name is set to?

Also, if there is more than O2 GPRS can you list back all the ones you have (with a G beside them), and what Access Point Names they are set-up with.

This will give a picture of the GPRS data connections set-up on the handset

Then we may need to take a look at how your WAP (Services) Browser is set-up (what Access Point it is set to use)

BrianG

BrianG,

The access point set up on my phone is set to 'wap.dol.ie'

I have no other setting except for the 'o2.ie',which has no access point as it is a dial up connection and MMS which also has the access point set to 'wap.dol.ie'

Cheers,

Jo.

• Advertisement

ok that's the right WAP access point for bill pay...

i'm not sure why the services menu is asking you to select the access point twice though, if its settings have the Default Access Point set right (i.e. to the O2 GPRS WAP access point) it should just auto-connect

(it pulls the homepage specified in the Access Point settings as the first in the list on the WAP (Services) Browser, using the Access Point label and the Homepage url)

has the WAP access point got these set-up:
    a gateway of 192.168.90.74
    a homepage of htp://www.o2.ie

in case their server isn't redirecting your browser correctly using their default homepage - can you try an alternative homepage like http://wap.my-symbian.com or http://pdaportal.us

and see what happens then
    BrianG

just to follow on...

if you really want to use 'browse' the mobile internet / check pop/imap email, it would be a good idea to use one of the full "internet" access points, rather than the WAP gateway access points

if you got a Europe/Africa 6600 sales pack the Opera Browser is supposed to come on the CD (according to their PR), you can use this with an "internet" access point, and it is a better 'broswer' than the internal WAP (Services) browser

you can also set up you pop/imap email accounts on the phone using the same "internet" access points

BrianG

BrianG,

Cheers for all the help but i have had no joy!

A couple of things for you though, O2 told me to put in 62.40.32.33 as the primary name server and 62.40.32.34 as the secondary also Would it make a difference if i hadnt bought the phone in Europe/Africa i.e. i picked it up in Hong Kong two weeks ago?

Cheers again,

Jo.

one more thing...

Should i have a proxy port number or a proxy server address entered, currentley there is none

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Hi there

Primary dns settings 62.40.32.33
    secondary dns settings 62.40.32.34
    ip address for o2 62.40.32.40

port 9201 unsecure
    port 9203 secure (for on-line banking ect)

Hope that is what you were looking for
    Greg

• Advertisement

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying, can i just clarify this with you:-

Primary name server:- 62.40.32.33
    Second name server:- 62.40.32.34
    Phone IP Address:- 62.40.32.40

Proxy port numbers:-
    port 9201 unsecure
    port 9203 secure (for on-line banking ect)

Is this right?

...and do you have any idea waht the proxy server address should be?

Thanks again,

Jo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

if its a proper http phone (it is) use port 8080

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Hi Again

Try 110 i am not to sure

Regards
    Greg

Originally posted by jo.king
    BrianG,

Cheers for all the help but i have had no joy!

A couple of things for you though, O2 told me to put in 62.40.32.33 as the primary name server and 62.40.32.34 as the secondary also Would it make a difference if i hadnt bought the phone in Europe/Africa i.e. i picked it up in Hong Kong two weeks ago?

one more thing...

Should i have a proxy port number or a proxy server address entered, currentley there is none

hi, merged two posts into one to try and make it clearer / helpful (i hope!)

ok i think the problem migt be that the 6600 has a few enhancements for TCP/IP that now enable SSL and VPN access from the handset (aimed at the business user), so the Access Point set-up is a little different to previous Series 60 devices (7650/3650) - from a quck read of the 6600 manual as far as i can see it doesn't look like it's changed too much except for where the WAP Gateway goes...

if you have a WAP Access Point (i.e. wap.dol.ie) set-up then it doesn't use DNS addresses, the WAP Gateway address (i.e. 192.168.90.74) that used to be in the main configuration has been moved into the connection's Advanced Settnigs, so try entering that Ip into the Proxy Server Address, also specify one of the ports greg_f outlined (9201 or 9203) into Proxy port Number, leave the DNS blank for a WAP access point

on the 7650/3650 when a WAP Gateway (now Proxy Server) IP address was entered for an Access Point that was the only time the Services Browser could use the connection, not sure how the 6600 handles this though... but make sure to use a Access Point with the Proxy Server assigned to check if it is working for you

for WAP GPRS try this:
    Connection Name: O2 WAP GPRS
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point Name: wap.dol.ie
    Username: gprs (or blank)
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: gprs (or blank)
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: http://www.o2.ie

Press Options and select Advanced Settings

Phone IP Address: leave ('dynamic' may appear - or 0.0.0.0 ?)
    Primary name server - leave (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Second. name server - leave (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy serv. address - 192.168.90.74
    Proxy port number - 9201

if you want to set up an Internet (not WAP) Access Point (i.e. internet or open.internet), then on the 7650/3650 you had to leave the Gateway blank, and set up the DNS addresses for O2 (i.e. 62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34 in the Advanced Settings). so on the 6600 try leaving the Proxy Server and Port blank for an internet access point. alos, leave the IP address blank, as you are assigned one from the network (dynamic) not static

for internet GPRS try this:
    Connection Name: O2 WEB GPRS
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point Name: internet (or open.internet)
    Username: gprs (or blank)
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: gprs (or blank)
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: blank

Press Options and select Advanced Settings

Phone IP Address: leave ('dynamic' may appear - or 0.0.0.0 ?)
    Primary name server - 62.40.32.33
    Second. name server - 62.40.32.34
    Proxy serv. address - leave (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy port number - leave (blank)

you then use the internet access point with the built-in email client, or third party apps like the Opera Web browser....

i always but in something for the username and passwords (some devices have needed something in there in the past) so rather than leaving them blank i just put in gprs...

let us know how you go...

the Nokia press release just said, they supply the Opera Browser in certain territories (Europe & Africa), check your CD in case it is on the one you got too...

hth,
    BrianG

We are laughing!

I installed a copy of Opera and with your settings it just rocked on!

BrianG YOURE A LEGEND!!!

Thanks a mill!

Advertisement