Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking botch

Options
  • 10-11-2003 6:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

He had the world in the palm of his hand, high public support, taking on the powerful publican lobby and an international first making Ireland a world leader. People were even talking about him as the next Taoiseach. But he didn't have the work done, didn't have the legal implications clarified and now the danger is the smoking ban will be challenged in the courts and be nullified. How could he get it so wrong when so many were on his side h=and he had known for months that this would come in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

What botch are you refering to? I've heard that there are/might be problems, but I don't actaully know what they are. What consititutional challenges?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is it a constitutional problem? I thought the problem was that he hasn't sent in the final plan to the EC and - for it to be implemented - the EC need it 3 months prior to the beginning. Since he wants it in on January 1, he's left it a little late for the 3 months. That and, IIRC, the definition of the workplace is still too vague from a legal POV (possibly).

Also I assume the poster means the way he's softening his stance on the ban - such as letting off prisons, hotel rooms, etc.

As long as pubs still get the ban then I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Go Figure!

Originally posted by star gazer
    He had the world in the palm of his hand, high public support, taking on the powerful publican lobby and an international first making Ireland a world leader. People were even talking about him as the next Taoiseach. But he didn't have the work done, didn't have the legal implications clarified and now the danger is the smoking ban will be challenged in the courts and be nullified. How could he get it so wrong when so many were on his side h=and he had known for months that this would come in?

He's a Fianna Fail politician! No further explanation necessary I'm afraid. Any other party would have done a better job implementing what was essentially a very good idea. The sooner we ditch this government the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He said the plan would protect ALL workers, but there are going to be excemptions for jails, rooms of b&b's and other places. There seems to be some issue about rights of people been denied.

I don't know the ins and outs thats all I've picked up so don't quote me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Go Figure!
    He's a Fianna Fail politician! No further explanation necessary I'm afraid. Any other party would have done a better job implementing what was essentially a very good idea.

Why did Michael Noonan or Brendan Howlin think of it?

I think that it is right - smoking to be allowed in OAP Homes and Hospices. Could you imagine telling a 90 year old women - If she wanted to smoke - that she'd have to leave the building?

Even Hotels - Were staff surposed to check every 15 minutes that nobody was smoking? This type of ivasion of privacy did not happen in the darkest days of Communist Russia.

If a law is not enforcable - you may as well have no law. The Minister is tieghtening up some very worthwhile legalislation.

The "I told you so" brigade are out in force - but this ban is coming & I think that a few extra weeks - won't metter very much.

• Advertisement

Cork,

He said this ban would protect all staff, now he's changing his mind and saying some staffs health doesn't matter if you work in jail or hospice etc.

Martin has ****ed up and is going to egg on his face.

Either total or no ban.

I'd say if this is going to be challenged through the courts it could take some time before it comes in.

Surely you would think he would have got legal advice before now????

Either total or no ban.

Everything is not black and white.

Would you tell an OAP in a nursing home to go out in the cold for a smoke?

Would you tell somebody in an hospice that they cannot have a smoke?

Even hotels - were staff to knock on doors every 30 minutes to check?

If I rented a hotel room - I'd expect a bit of privacy.

Unenforcable Laws are a farce.

The Minister is making sure that this law will be enforcable.

These exemptions make sense and this law is going to be enforced. A few extra weeks won't really metter much - this law is on the way.

Would you tell a 90 years old woman sitting in her local to go out and smoke??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by Go Figure!
    He's a Fianna Fail politician! No further explanation necessary I'm afraid. Any other party would have done a better job implementing what was essentially a very good idea. The sooner we ditch this government the better!

Who shall govern us ? fine gael ? labour ? i fear that i want to vote for no one :(

Originally posted by ronano
    Who shall govern us ? fine gael ? labour ? i fear that i want to vote for no one :(

A lot of people feel that way. Theres always Independents. and have a look at other parties there more than the 2 you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Would you tell a 90 years old woman sitting in her local to go out and smoke??

Yes - I would.

The diffence between a pub and a nursing home is - a nursing home is akin to ones home.

I think that treating it as such is pretty fair to residents.

This ban is going to be workable and enforcable.

Publicians will not be allowed but to enforce it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by Syth
    What botch are you refering to? I've heard that there are/might be problems, but I don't actaully know what they are. What consititutional challenges?

Pretty much answered by ioxy . There seems to be a slow drip of undermining exemptions coming from the Minister, the hospitality alliance is able to say it is a farce. The fact that a hotel worker is going to be deemed less important in health regulations terms than other workers. Granted the law is going to be hard to be enforceable however if you had a smoke alarm in every room you wouldn't take long to change people's habits when they get fined for emptying hotels for a false alarm.
    originally posted by Cork
    Why did Michael Noonan or Brendan Howlin think of it?
    Isn't it amazing that Brian Cowen isn't in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    This type of ivasion of privacy did not happen in the darkest days of Communist Russia.
    I invoke Godwin's law by proxy.

so let me get this right Cork, If I work in a Bar I'm entilted to work in a smoke free enviroment BUT if I work in a nursing home or jail I'm not????

People who had commited a crime and are serving time are allowed to smoke where ever they like once in Jail, but a OAP can't go into his local and smoke???

Originally posted by star gazer
    The fact that a hotel worker is going to be deemed less important in health regulations terms than other workers.

Bar Staff & Restaurent staff will not have to put up with fag smoke.

Room Attendants probably won't either as the smoker will probably have departed.
    I invoke Godwin's law by proxy.

No. You cannot expect to police smoking bans in people's bedrooms!

Is anything sacred?

Originally posted by irish1
    so let me get this right Cork, If I work in a Bar I'm entilted to work in a smoke free enviroment BUT if I work in a nursing home or jail I'm not????

People who had commited a crime and are serving time are allowed to smoke where ever they like once in Jail, but a OAP can't go into his local and smoke???

Prisons and nursing homes are people's homes.

Pubs & Restaurents are places of business.

Prisons and nursing homes are people's homes.

Pubs & Restaurents are places of business.

THAT EMPLOY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are still workers, god damn it theres more people working in prsions than there is locked up.

Have these workers not got rights too??????

THAT EMPLOY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. But in fairness - nursimg homes should be exempted as they should be as close as possible as "homes" to the OAPs.

I would prefer a total ban - but a law that cannot be enforced is a joke.

It is much better - to be fair to those in nursing homes and prisons.

Hotel,B+B, & hostels should be like rooms we rent for the night. We really should have the same rights in these rooms as we would in our own bed rooms.

I again - would prefer a complete ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No. You cannot expect to police smoking bans in people's bedrooms!

Is anything sacred?
    I've no idea how that refers to my brief post above.

In case you're unaware, my comment was related to the idiotic "this never even happened in comunist Russia" (in place of the more usual "Nazi Germany"), a clear case of taking some extreme case and trying to wrangle it into the argument in an attempt to bolster your position that truthfully just makes your thesis look silly. Godwin's law (named for Mike Godwin) refers to the eventuality and idiocy of bringing up Nazis in threads - it takes very little effort to include "communist Russia" in that definition.

I've visited communist Russia (or the USSR as it was then). I know people from Bulgaria who grew up in fear and terror. You don't know jack about it apart from what you've seen in Bond movie reruns and old RTE shows so stop exaggerating.

I agree.

Good,

I also agree that a total ban isn't workable.

I also believe the ban with even these excemptions will be very hard to enforce.

If the Guardai were to enforce it with heavy fines then maybe it might work.

This is not going to be easy, not at all. It will create a hell of a lot of problems and if not enforced, which I can't see it been its going to be done by the health and safety people.

Buses are meant to be smoke free but are they???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Buses are meant to be smoke free but are they???
    Maybe you were never on one before the ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Guardai

who the fcuk are they:)

here i think the what is going through now is the best option. If some mento starts loosing the plot who is going to tell them that they cant have a fag. Same with the fellas in the slammer. There would be too many problems.

There is going to be a lot of tourists pretty pissed off so a compromise of letting people smoke in their own rooms in fine.

No other country in the EU has tried to put in a ban like this before, not even Sweden or Finland who seem to have everything sorted. So you have to give some credit to the government.

If it comes in around or before March it will be great.

However the minister shouldnt be just talking about the smoking ban. There is 130 people waiting on beds in hospitals around Ireland!!!

originally posted by qadhafi
    who the fcuk are they

the new smoking police maybe? ;)

Why was it so hard for the minister not to know all the exemptions that would be neceassary five months ago, why has he not coordinated with health and safety officers and their department, enterprise and employment? this is going to turn from a national achievement to an international embarrassment.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Maybe you were never on one before the ban?
    I was and nothing has changed!!

Do you think otherwise?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My bus route is generally smoke free - even upstairs ('cept for the Nitelink at times). Are my bus people just polite folk or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Face it. If it wasn't (perceived to be) threatening the pockets of millionaire members of the Vintners Association, none of this big stink would be made.
    It's happening and seems obvious to me to be enforcable with some exceptions, which have been made.
    This is the one thing since I've been living here that looks like it was done right.
    If the Vintners Association beleives that there are other safety issues in the workplace as well as health hazards in the environment, they are quite welcome to use their strong political power and their millions to do something about it.

The smoking ban will happen in public houses IMHO. It's not just the publicans that are resisting, it is hard to believe that the huge tobacco industry would not be heavily involved by proxy to defeat this, Europes first attempt at a total ban of smoking in the workplace. The majority voice will win out in the smoking ban struggles. It's a pity Micheal marin couldn't bring it in a little more smoothly.

If publicans don't want to risk changing their public houses into....well houses - they'll enforce the ban.

Publicans will have to operate within the law. I work with the public & there is massive public support for this ban.

There was an expert on the radio this morning who described this ban with exemptions as "comprehensive".

The end is nigh for unwanted fag smoke. It is high time IMO.

What about this loop hole which classes dwellings as excempt but 70% of Pub Licences cover the whole premisies including dwellings??

It was discussed on Questions and answers last night??

• Advertisement

I did not see Questions & Answers. But pubs need to abide by the law of the land.

Every pub has to renew it's liecence. The Licence is up for renewal every year.

If they cannot enforce the law on their premises - do they deserve a licence to sell licqor?

Advertisement