Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking botch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cork, I agree with the ban, my problems lie with the implementation.

There are problems I have already mentioned but watching Q&A last night I heard another one.

The Barrister that was on the panel said he could see there been legal challenges, which will mean this ban will be delayed.

So Martin has fecked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

This new law is a joke and i do not support it. But it will happen. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. They have passed the point of no return. Senior politicians have staked their careers on it happening. So it will. With or without the best legislation in place.

Originally posted by fluffer
    This new law is a joke and i do not support it. But it will happen.

Yea but due to bad managment it will more than likely be delayed now, could be held up for years like the angel dust thing.

Thats the example the Barristor gave on Q&A last night.

Government fools, couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Here, I disagree. Exemptions will make this law fair. Not exempting say bedrooms was inevitable. Policing a ban in bedrooms is unworkable.
    But - what has been done was to look at the practicality of enforcing it. They have considerate to those in OAP homes.

What they have came up with is a that smoking will effectively be banned in most workplaces.

This has been welcomed by Mandate and the General Public.

I really could not care less about the Vintners Association.

Smoking is not allowed when you go the pictures.

So, I hope the bill is challanged.

It is about time bar/restaurent workers will now be able to work in a smoke free environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by irish1
    I was and nothing has changed!!

Do you think otherwise?
    Yes. The upstairs of busses used to be a haze of smoke, particularly noticeable on cold mornings when the windows would be shut. Half the passengers would be smoking at any one time.

Smoking still goes on, but it is largely confined to night busses. Very rarely would you come across someone smoking during the day. You are certainly aware of it when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

wrt pub licences covering the entire building of public houses and the connected dwelling, I think it's quite simple. Allow an exemption for the part of the dwelling that is not open to the public or staff. If the public is allowed in there it's no smoking. If it's off limits ot public and staff it's the same as any private dwelling. Most pub licences cover at least part of the outside of the buildings also and perhaps part of the neighbouring street not owned by the publican but you won't see smoking being banned there.

This is just another attempt by publicans to be awkward.

Imposter your 100% correct such clarification would help.

But it doesn't look like this will work.

I'm surprised at Cork saying he hopes this is challenged considering Legal advice seems to think this will delay the issue, maybe by a year or 2!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Yes. The upstairs of busses used to be a haze of smoke, particularly noticeable on cold mornings when the windows would be shut. Half the passengers would be smoking at any one time.

Smoking still goes on, but it is largely confined to night busses. Very rarely would you come across someone smoking during the day. You are certainly aware of it when they do.

I dont know what buses you use but every single time i get a bus from where i live (Dublin 15) into town and back there are at least two/three people smoking... more in the morning when the kids are going to school... there is a unreal smell of hash... Not a word of a lie... i have yet to get a bus where there is no body smoking on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by gazzer
    I dont know what buses you use but every single time i get a bus from where i live (Dublin 15) into town and back there are at least two/three people smoking... more in the morning when the kids are going to school... there is a unreal smell of hash... Not a word of a lie... i have yet to get a bus where there is no body smoking on it.
    I'm kind of surprised by this, but I don't doubt you. It may be an issue on some routes more than others. I have certainly been on busses where people were breaking the rules, but in my experience it was fairly uncommon, maybe once every couple of weeks.

Advertisement