Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put Down

Options
  • 10-11-2003 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

my oldest dog, Jet was put to sleep this evening. he has been dying for the last few weeks, and i asked my father to have him put down, anyone else have similiar experiences, we lifted him into the van, he was a black labradour. and the last thing i did was just pet his head and said i'll miss you jet. now im sad. i didnt go with him to the vet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ouch, sorry to hear that. It hurts, lots. I still remember my first dog being put down, poor guy got run over and got paralysed. I was standing beside him when the vet gave him the lethal injection. I was miserable for ages afterwards. :(

You did Jet a favour, really, if he was dying anyway you saved him days/weeks of extra suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Second

I used to have a cat called Sasha.. was a white persian ... was always sick.. would cry when he went to the cat litter... as a kid it was just me and my mother .. so this cat was like my friend... and my mother has this weird problem with death... she hates it. But the cat was so sick.. and the decission was left with me ... I was bout 12 at the time I think... but eh ... I said good bye to Sasha. Poor cat was in so much pain..

But another story... my cousin had a dog.. for like... 10 years.. she LOVED this dog .. seriously loved him... and herself and her family went away for 2 weeks on holiday... the dog was dying of old age.. could hardly walk... my mum was sent to look after the dog for the two weeks... one day he wouldn't get up .. he was really skinny even though he ate loads... so she called the vet... the vet said he had worms and arthritis .. and was pretty much dead except for the fact he was breathing.... and advised to have him put down... my mum .. with her serious death problem.... couldn't stand to see the dog like that ... and knew the family couldn't bear to this themselves ... otherwise they'd have done it before now... so she got the dog put down.. they went mental when they came home from holidays... accused her of killing their dog.

I'm sorry about your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My first dog lived to 17 years, for the last 3 of which I was working in Africa every second month. He ended up dying 5 days before I finished my very last stint there. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sorry to hear it. Always hate it when someone's beloved pet dies :(
    They're like part of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Sorry to hear about your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

losing anyone to death is terrible.

from the age of 9 i grew up with loads of animals.. i moved to the country.

i'd have a few stories to tell you about dying.. here are two.

it was when i was younger than 9, i cant remember when but my dad got me a dog from our doctor.. dad was sick with cancer at the time. i loved that dog loads, only one day the dog piddles in one of the guest room..we ran a guest house..aan my psychotoc mother got it put down.

soon after my parents eperated and i went to live with my dad and this new house in the country had a dog with it (his last owners didnt want it) rex was 5 and we instantly fell in love with one another..
    i used to babysit for these peopel when i was abpout 26 and they ended up poisoning my dog by laying posion on thier land..well they ended up killing some dogs around the neighbourhood because of this. rex been one of those dogs.. two days after my birthday.. (my cat tigger also died on my birthday... by posion) i came home from school, rex was very ill. i begged my dad to bring him to the vet, we did, nothing could be done.. but the vet gave him some injection.. the next day my dog wandered of to die, i couldnt find him anywhere... then when i was driving downt he road there was rex.. we had to put him down... i rememember holding him adn thinking at one point he was getting better but i think he only did that well tried to seem he was okay becayse i was so upset,,

i stillwas using a comforter when i was 16, i buried that with him so he would have something of me.. my comforter was gone... any time after that i needed a comforter i stopeed and thought of rex and i couldnt get any comfort out of it.

2 and half years later i felt ready to get another dog.. trilo is her name. and shes with me now..even when i moved out of home and to another part of the country.. she my babe.. but i did find it hard to love her at the start at one point but i got over that.. i just felt so guilty,,,why should i love another animal when rex wasnt here... but i got over that..and shes just the best in the world.

okay i just wasted all that space ..r anting... what am i like?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

i just read my last post without reading it through forst.. my typing is so bad..

i wasnt 26 at the time i was 16

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

this may be an old thread, but i just want you to know, they are some sad stories. hope your good now though. peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

My little fox doggie Mister,(looked like a fox but was a chihuahua) he had to put down a while ago. *sigh* He got hit by a car and walked on his two front feet. Funniest thing.. finally his legs healed and all. But he started jerking his head about, about his puppies were born. He had some disease that couldn't be fixed. He looked soo miserable and we tried stuff to ya know let him be a bit happier but didn't work. So he was put down. Horriblest thing ever. All I remember is how it was hot, and my neighbour was playing with his dog while mine just died. Then his daughter, she was soo miserable she got sick, poor girl (name was Toya) was so distraught she just died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

My kitty Sovvie went last week, held her an felt her little heart stop beating while the injection kicked in.
    Never did think id be so attached to a cat! :)

Im so sorry to hear about ur dog, i do know how it feels and it SUX! :(

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

when i was 15 our lab had to be put down , some little bollocks started kickin him and the dog turned round and bit him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by demanufactured
    when i was 15 our lab had to be put down , some little bollocks started kickin him and the dog turned round and bit him

That's sick! Evil bastards like that make me very angry...

Advertisement