Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will take the Leeds Job?

• 10-11-2003 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Its a poisoned chalice really, a club with no money, no moral and sitting bottom of the table.

Leeds have apparently had their eye on Paul Hart for some time but in the short term, Hart as as much chance of managing a Premiership football club next season with Forest as with Leeds.
    Still Hart seems the favourite although he has made no comment on the position himself.

Other names bandied about are Bryan Robson, who just seems desperate enough to take any job going (Peter Reid Mark II), Neil Warnock, who, like Hart may see Sheffield Utd as a better premiership prospect next season. Plymouths Paul Sturrock has also been mentioned as an outside bet as has Gordon Strachan who would be insane to leave Southampton.

Of course, there are a few mad rumours aswell including Mick McCarthy being considered after his sterling work with Sunderland and then the usual suspects of Glenn Hoddle and George Graham. There's always the chance they'll promote from within and allow Eddie Gray have a crack.

So place your bets ladies and jellyspoons.....

Who will be the next Leeds Utd Manager? 18 votes

Paul Sturrock
    0% 0 votes
    Neil Warnock
    0% 0 votes
    George Graham
    5% 1 vote
    Paul Hart
    22% 4 votes
    Glenn Hoddle
    33% 6 votes
    Bryan Robson
    11% 2 votes
    Gordon Strachan
    11% 2 votes
    Mick McCarthy
    0% 0 votes
    Eddie Gray
    16% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I can not see any of the established managers take this job. A team in free fall massivly in debt and no money to spend and very few quality players left. I think the only people interested
    will be some of the lower division managers who would be willing to take a risk to prove themselves in the prem. Whoever it is they should get rid of the current players who have let the down and build from the youths althougt it will be hard to shift the overpaid under acheivers in the current climate..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

To be fair I think quite a few managers would be interested. Afterall it's a no lose situation to whoever takes over. Nobody will expect the new manager to keep them up and if he does he will be a hero. Let's not forget that although Leeds have major problems at the moment, they are still a "big" club. If they can cut their costs and stay in the premiership for the next few season's the situation will be alot brighter. I tip Paul Hart, he's a good manager at a club who have had big cash problems and they look unlikely to get promoted especially if Andy Reid gets sold during the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I suspect the reason behind ND holding on to the purse strings at forest is because he was scared Hart would join Leeds when the chance came about.

At least it has come to ahead now I supose... only thing I dread is if they appoint a caretaker for the rest of the season, then the cloud will be over Harts head until then. Every match I have been to the fans have been singing 'who the f**k are leeds united', even the pre-season friendly, its like waiting for the sword of Damocles(sp?) to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a job that will only have real appeal to some youngster or a Number 2 who wants to make a name for themselves by rescueing "one of the greatest clubs in the land etc" As money is too tight to mention the likes of Hoddle will surely be ruled out. Anyway Glendas' man managment is rotten and whoever gets the job will have to be able to rally the troops big time and be willing to drop some name players...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Go Figure!

I would strongly advice none of the above people to take the job if they know what's good for them. While the current Leeds United board remains in charge whoever takes this job doesn't stand a chance. For a club that made the Champion's League Semi-Final just four years ago and was finishing third or fourth every year in the league every year, the directors there have squandered this success and run the club into the ground. What did they expect to happen when they sacked one of their best ever managers in David O' Leary and sold most of their best players. Not to mention their incredible mismanagement of the club's finances which started all the problems. Yes, Peter Ridsdale is gone but I think quite a few other directors should go as well. If that happens then there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. As an avid Leeds United fan it breaks my heart to see what has happened to the club since David O' Leary left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

John Toshack(dont ask me why ? ive just got a feeling)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'll just be unrealistic and say Hector Cúper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

It doesn't matter who takes the job, nothing's really going to change. The team will go on a run of a few wins, the fans will be full of praise for the new manager. Those wins will then turn to a couple of draws and a defeat, and then they'll go on a run of one draw and a load of defeats. The pressure will build again from all corners, the new manager will look for a vote of confidence, the board will have to stick with him having forking out around £7m in compensation payments to DO'L, TV and PR...then they'll decide to sack him anyway, Leeds will get relegated, go into administration and then all the Leeds fans will wake up in cold sweats, realising it was all just a bad dream !

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Or they'll pinch themselves and notice that their worst nightmares has come true.

... and the rest of us will laugh :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The quality of mercy is somewhat lacking...!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think someone new, fresh faced, from within the club would be best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

What are the odds on Joe Kinnear getting the job?

I wouldn't be too surprided if he got it, just a gut feeling I'm basing it on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Eddie Gray says he wants the job. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they let Gray keep it.

They have spent 7 million on payouts to managers in the past 2-3 years and with their debts it would probably work out more economical to keep Gray on, mainly because it will be difficult for any manager will save them at this stage.

I would really question the motives of someone like Hart or Warnock taking the job (of course, as a Forest supporter I'm biased as hell). With a bit of luck, Forest could manage the Premiership next season. The first division is a long, tight league and Forest will be there or thereabout the playoff places. Forest need luck to play premiership football while Leeds need a miracle.

Leeds will be in serious debt, worse than forest, for the next 5 years at least. If they are relegated they will not hang on to Smith and Robinson and Hart would be faced with rebuilding a team from scratch with no money. Basically where Forest were 2 years ago. Why opt for that?

Warnock is in a better position again, his club actually have money tospend and a scrapping squad of players. Again they should make the playoffs.

I can't think of any established manager in their right mind who would take the Leeds job now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Leeds have announced that they'll make up to 10 Million available to the new manager to strenghten the Squad in January.

Could they not have just given that to peter reid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

You'd want to be a madman to take that job.

Glenn Hoddle it is then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Leeds have announced that they'll make up to 10 Million available to the new manager to strenghten the Squad in January.

If They can scrape together anothe Million They would be able to afford Heskey.:D

!0 million won't go too far in the market but if they were to spend it on some promising youngsters they may stay up. I believe miller is out of contact in the summer maybe he would be a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think the biggest mistake Reid made was to bring in a load of loan signings.
    He'd kept them up the season before by getting a good team spirit together with players committed to the cause.
    The loan signings have destroyed this in my opinion.

I think they'll stay up if they can get a manager who's a good motivator.
    Some people have mentioned Joe Kinnear. I think he or someone like him would be an excellent choice.
    I don't know if the fans would like it or if the players would respect him.
    It might be too much pressure for him.

I think the other route they could use is the West Ham one of appointing a legendary ex-player with the interests of the club at heart.
    Eddie Gray along with someone like a Giles or Charlton could do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- I reckon George Graham might have a go, its in defence that Leeds really need to get sorted, and thats his speciality. The current midfielders (a real Hall of Fame there) will suit his management style as he prefers busy workmen rather than creative players. Only thing is there's no money for 'Fingers' to
    pilfer -;)

- they really really need a lot of work tho, its unreal how poor the squad is. While I do agree that Reids loan signings were wrong, I think loan signings are a good thing with young players with a bit of ambition and a point to prove- Forsell is the perfect example.

- if they could get Bridges playing well he'd be a big help alongside Alan Smith, who I think has been brilliant; the epitomy of the mindset required to keep Leeds up. They're going down, and he's off to Liverpool or Newcastle in the summer.

Cheers
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think George Graham has been linked with nearly every job for the last 2 or so years.

I think he's too used to the handy Sky number now to give it up.

(But hey what do I know):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

it was actually only 2 years ago.........I believe leeds are too big a club to go down and will end up finishing about 15th.remember that they have all the "big guns" played already..For a club that made the Champion's League Semi-Final just four years ago and was finishing third or fourth every year in the league every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

If reports this morning are true, it appears that David O'Leary is well hacked off with Doug Ellis and is considering leaving Villa after six months and that he would be keen on a return to Elland Road. I can't see it happening but, managers have returned to clubs on several occasions before!!

Yeah i heard that too earlier, he would be mad to go back to that mess, although he'd have nothing to lose. All he'd have to do is keep them up, and they are potentially far better than at least 3 sides down there. Anyhoo, if it goes arseways and he gets sacked again he'll land himself and another big payout...hmm he is a clever one that David.

Advertisement