Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamepads

Options
  • 10-11-2003 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Wheres a good place online to get these guys? Have tried komplett and there ain't a great selection :( Looking to get something that's compatible with mame.

Dizz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

For the PC is it?

I think your best getting a console controller and a USB converter so you can plug it into your PC. Try play.com for converters anyway (there's ones available for GameCube and PS2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Ooops - yep - PC
    Nah the console controller + USB converter is no go cos I ain't got a console type box :(

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by Goodshape
    For the PC is it?

I think your best getting a console controller and a USB converter so you can plug it into your PC. Try play.com for converters anyway (there's ones available for GameCube and PS2)

What area inside in play.com can i find those converters, i can't see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by IrishDizz
    Ooops - yep - PC
    Nah the console controller + USB converter is no go cos I ain't got a console type box

Well you got to buy the controller as well :p

I think a PS2 controller cost about €20

Originally posted by IrishDizz
    What area inside in play.com can i find those converters, i can't see them
    http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?pa=stts1&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

There was a brief discussion about this on the Pro Evolution Soccer PC demo thread -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121872
    I don't know much about this, but afaik the most important thing is that you get a USB converter that allows more than one button to be pressed at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

that play.com one aint up to much. the supplied driver crashes if the force feedback to the ps2 pad causes both motors to be active(i searched and sarched for a newer one but to no avail). using a standard hid(no ff though) one that comes with windows causes the input to lag by approx 100ms making most games unplayable and the third problem is that it does not accuratly translate the analouge stick movements very smoothly. the lag is very apparent and only approx 1/2 the possible stick positions are mapped causing all analouge movents to be made up of very noticable distinct steps.

the best one i hve used by far is this one http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=160&products_id=255& ive had it for 2 years and have never has a single problem. pad response is perfect and analouge movment is very smooth and force feedback works fine to. only drawback is shipping from lik-sang for something so small will crucify you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The Thrustmaster gamepads on Komplett are brilliant. I've got the non-force feedback Firestorm model, and it's infinitely better than the Playstations controller.

I've got big hands, and found the playstations gamepad far too small. This one is perfect, and every button is played somewhere easy to reach. It's got a lovely feel to it too, almost like soft plastic! :) It's programmable, and the two analog controllers are just the right size and in the right place as well.

I'm actually considering going for the Force Feedback version cos it's so cheap. I bought it from Komplett over a year ago and paid over 50 quid, so they've gone down a lot in price.

Definitely the best gamepad I've ever used.

Si.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

www.consoleplus.co.uk do nice USB converters

Originally posted by Wicknight
    Well you got to buy the controller as well :p

I think a PS2 controller cost about €20

http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?pa=stts1&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

There was a brief discussion about this on the Pro Evolution Soccer PC demo thread -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121872
    I don't know much about this, but afaik the most important thing is that you get a USB converter that allows more than one button to be pressed at the same time

Cheers for the link. just remembered , i sold my ps2, doh. What is the best recommendation for an xbox converter, or where would i get a microsoft sidewinder cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If you liked the original Sidewinder you'll love the Thrustmaster - I loved the original MS gamepad, just cos it was the right size, and the Thrustmaster is very similar in size, but far superior in function. And for €20 from Komplett you can't go far wrong.

Originally posted by SuprSi
    If you liked the original Sidewinder you'll love the Thrustmaster - I loved the original MS gamepad, just cos it was the right size, and the Thrustmaster is very similar in size, but far superior in function. And for €20 from Komplett you can't go far wrong.

Good call

• Advertisement
Advertisement