Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB adapter for multiple pc's

• 10-11-2003 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Howya's,

I'm thinking for getting IOL (bigger cap and cheaper rental before everyone ask's) however i don't think they do a service that allows for multiple pc's to be connected. However i did the eircom trial and since it was free i got the multiple pc option.

Even though iol say that you aren't allowed have more than one computer connected i'd be connecting 2 pcs up to the line. So what am i looking at here, the eircom trial came with a xyzel (spell?) modem that allowed for up to 4 pc's to connect.

So is it as simple as getting a router/special modem or would it be easier to install a server (i have a spare pc knocking around) and just route through the server. Also will the iol account allow more than one user to log on at the same time?? Or will they only distribute one ip address per username...

Comments/suggestion welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I will hopefully very soon be getting this router here from Elara, I'm waiting for the discounts at the end of the week....cause I have asked for it and someone else bleated for the same choice. So hope to get a few bob off, it will connect 4 PCs and has an inbuilt modem meaning you can dump that crappy USB modem:p , can't wait for it should make the internet easier for us at our home cause at present we use ICS, meaning my comp must be on all the time:( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Does anyone know if IOL will allow multiple login's. On their web page it says that they don't allow you to share the connection but doesn;t mention anything about the logins. The problem is that if i get ADSL from them i need to connect 2 pc's....and would rather avoid the whole setting up a proxy server option.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

All you need is a router. There are tons of them specifically made to be ADSL routers (you can connect and configure your ADSL modem/setting via the router).

Easiest solution, and probably cheaper than getting multiple logins etc.

You don't have to setup any proxies, connect the router, configure it (most often through a webinterface) and off you go!

Check komplett.ie for prices (or any other place if you know something thats cheaper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Just use a router, they won't know/care how many pcs are sharing the connection.
    They probably only say only one connection allowed etc. so they won't have people phoning their tech support wanting them to set up their network for them.

Advertisement