Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Mozilla ?

Options
  • 10-11-2003 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

I downloaded Mozilla but what makes it a better browser ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Yeah thanks - Just found it and was reading it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

try getting Mozilla Firebird instead of normal Mozilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If you're in the market for a new browser I would highly recommend Opera , it has many of the same advantages as mozilla but some unique ones of its own.

1. pop-up disable/selective enable
    2. The best navigation out there, with mouse gestures. (ie to do a back button action right-click and move mouse left)
    3. Claims to be the fastest browser out there.
    4. Integrated mail client with spam filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    1. pop-up disable/selective enable
    firebird has this, as well as being able to block images from a specific server. (handy for people with annoying sigs:p)
    2. The best navigation out there, with mouse gestures. (ie to do a back button action right-click and move mouse left)
    firebird also has a plugin that lets you do this.
    3. Claims to be the fastest browser out there.
    says them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

S_S you are a real laugh :D seriously get Firebird ANY day, it's open source and not add supported come on!. If you are feeling very daring:D try these BETA optimised builds they are built for specific platforms so pick your one, DAAAH!. Anyway they are usually a little bit quicker, be careful with them though!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by rorook
    Yeah thanks - Just found it and was reading it !
    Be sure to check the '101 things that the Mozilla browser can do that IE cannot' link on that page

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well at 6.04MB is nice and small

Seems faster - won't know till I try it on the 133 :)

Like this load images for the originating site only
    Be even nicer if you could toggle from text to image based viewing in each window..

Page info is nice

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    S_S you are a real laugh :D seriously get Firebird ANY day, it's open source and not add supported come on!.

Open source doesnt necessarily = good for me. Im happy to pay for a good commercial product if
    a) its cheap
    b) its good
    c) they are competing with MS.

All the above applies to Opera.

Have you seen the ad bar in Opera? - complete unobtrusive.

Opera d/l is 3 mb.

Available in many more platforms than Mozilla.

I've got nothing against Firebird - I've never even used it. Just if you are in the market for a new browser then Opera has just as many advantages over IE as Firebird does.

Why not try them both and see???

[edit] completely unrelated but I've just been to the Opera website and noticed they have revised their downloads because of a Sun JVM vunerabilty does everyone know about this???? [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

It's all the little things that make Mozilla so good. Give it a week and you'll wonder why you left it so long!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why pay for something you can get for free????. In reality the diffrences between Operas and Firebirds feature set are minimal. I tried Opera very nice and all but a too crowded UI drove me back to Firebird. It's clean, simple, fast, free and....free:p. Why pay?, I get the same with a more active involved community(not saying the Opera community is not active).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 horacember

Both the Mozilla suite and Firebird web browser natively block popups.
    http://mozilla.org

If for some dimented reason you prefer to use Internet Explorer consider installing the http://StumbleUpon.com toolbar; it will block popups. It also gives you access to an amazing community with quality url stumbling.

Alternately install one of these to FREE local proxy filters:

http://proxomitron.info
    or
    http://privoxy.com

The former is best suited to power users. The latter is merely 300k under windows and has a flavor for every popular OS on the planet, but not as easily tweakable.

After installing one of the mozilla web browsers grab yourself some extensions:

firebird:
    http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/

mozilla suite:
    http://www.mozdev.org/logs/top50.html

I suggest at least getting

Tabbed Browser Extensions
    GoUp
    popup count
    mouse rocker navigation --or-- optimoz
    text links

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

They're both very similar. Opera has mouse gestures (genius), but you have to put up with ads (not that you really notice them).

Tabbed browsing is the major advantage over IE though. Aswell as not being attacked by hackers all the time. I'm sure there are plenty more, but these 2 do it for me.

its horses for courses methinks...as long as they both take market share off of MS and help to cut down on the number of vunerable browsers out there its all good in my book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by horacember

Tabbed Browser Extensions

ah thats class, used opera>mozilla>firebird with small bit of netscape IE myie.

Had a sucky type of tab manger there for firebird, missed the book mark group of tabs *very handy for restarting* But so many features in that one, lovely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well the subject says it all...

101 Things that Mozilla can do but IE can't

Oh and its only comparing with Mozilla 1.2 - IE6.0
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Is it just me, or do you find yourself trying to use mouse gestures in Windows itself? After a long session using Firebird, I find myself right clicking all over the place. Using IE at work now, and what a bloated, cloggy piece of crap it is. I also like the StumbleUpon plugin for Firebird, input in your interests click the stumble button and it will direct you to sites of interests. If you like a site you click 'I like it' and that is added to the community database. Found some real gems of websites using it.

I find that too, the number of times I have done opera's back guesture in Windows Explorer is ridiculous!

And as for those banking sites that ONLY work with IE ....grrrrr damn u ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's the difference between firebird and regular run-o-the-mill mozilla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement