Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a pargain

Options
  • 10-11-2003 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if this is the right place for this.

Atm im in one of my friends houses and the top speed he can connect to the internet via dial up is 33,600 while using iol free and a max of 28,000 when using no limits.In my opinion this stinks of a splitter being on the line however the line was only installed 5-6 months ago. were pargains banned by comreg before this time and if it turns out they still put one on is there anything my friend can do about this i.e complain to comreg or walk into eircom head office and beat the receptionist with the splitter?. :):)

Any help ye can offer would be appreciated cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

yes, there is something he can do

search the house for a splitter: it's a large grey box with "MultiGain 2000" on it (or so it should be)
    if you are unable to find it, the splitter may be underground or on the outer walls of the house

ask politely for it's removal, and you will be refused
    if you keep pestering €ircon they MAY give in, but you have to be smart and know the law, etc.

plan X: only to be used as a last resort (ensure that the splitter is ONLY connected to your friends house, as this will render your phone line unusable until the splitter is removed)... find the splitter and open it with a screwdriver. take a piece of tinfoil and rub it over the cards inside, which will destroy them. carefully replace the cover and hide any evidence. use a mobile to ring 1901 and ask for an engineer to come out and check out your line coz its dead
    if €ircon bother their lazy asses to do so, and when the engineer arrives, tell him to take the splitter off

p.s. do NOT listen to me; i'm just contemplating evil schemes from past experience. there's a high chance of it going horribly wrong for you

here's two e-mail addresses of people who will probably tell you to go away. remember to be professional!

phil.nolan@eircom.ie - Dr. Philip Nolan - CEO of €ircon and Head Rat
    plonergan@eircom.ie - Pheena Lonergan - Escalations Manager and Defender of the Splitter Scam

hope i helped in some kind of way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What kind of modem has he got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

sniff*
    me gots a spilter aswell
    always connect at 31.2 or 28.8 kps :mad:

damn eircom, damn them to hell and back!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

It looks very like you have a pairgain installed, especially since it's a new phoneline. (Although remember it could be something else..so make sure you have seen the grey box before you go to war over it).

Unfortunatly, splitters/pairgains/DACS/carrier systems are not illegal. You can, however, moan, pester, irritate and interrogate eircom about it through email and possibly snail mail. Don't bother ringing them about it as the drones in general are pre-programmed to either deny it's existance (as they tried on me), tell you it doesn't affect your speed (which they also tried on me), and try to intimidate you into forgetting about it (which they also tried on me :rolleyes: ).

The two email addresses above are useful. Don't bother with ComReg because they won't help you. If the pairgain is unneeded (i.e. one full line going in and one half line coming out) then you stand a very good chance of getting them to remove it. Otherwise, it'll take alot more persistence, but anything's possible.

It took me about 2 or 3 months of arguing with them over it to get them to remove my (unneeded) pairgain. Analyze their every response carefully and you'll probably find that most of it is lies. If it is, confront them about it.

enjoy the war ;)

-andrew

Advertisement