Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to buy stuff from the US and shop with paypal?

Options
  • 10-11-2003 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

1. is paypal secure? is there a manual or something to explain how to securely shop in it? do they accept Irish credit cards?

2. most of the online stores in US don't accept Irish credit cards, what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

most of the online stores in US don't accept Irish credit cards, what to do?

Erm yes, they should. If it's Visa or Mastercard, it should work fine no matter where you are buying from, once the retailer accepts Visa or Mastercard.

If you are using a debit card (i.e. Laser) then you will run into trouble. Few retailers outside of Ireland are equipped to accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i have a VISA, but i called one US online store to get more info about the product(camcorder), he asked me where i'm from, when i told him that i was from Ireland, he said, sorry, we only accept American VISA cards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've used Paypal for a few years now, think they charge you a dollar as part of the registration process so you can get a code off your credit card bill, you then get this back off your first transaction.
    I've had no problems whatsoever and used it mostly in conjunction with ebay.
    I'm sure if you do a search on paypal you'll get loads of horror stories, but all I can say is than in my experience no probs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    i have a VISA, but i called one US online store to get more info about the product(camcorder), he asked me where i'm from, when i told him that i was from Ireland, he said, sorry, we only accept American VISA cards

That's a difference - a Visa card held by an american, registered at an American address - that's not a problem with the card, that is the retailers policy. Most retailers won't give a damn where the card is from, and won't even check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

just found paypalsucks.com , damn, pretty horror stories there, well i'm gonna give it a try anyway

"that's not a problem with the card, that is the retailers policy" - a**holes! don't trust us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

just found paypalsucks.com , damn, pretty horror stories there, well i'm gonna give it a try anyway

"that's not a problem with the card, that is the retailers policy" - a**holes! don't trust us :)

I think its more to do that you are outside the US and want to buy an expensive piece of kit eg Camcorder.

Take a hypothetical stituation:

Look at it from the retailers point of view. You give him the CC details and address. He sends the camcorder. Turms out that CC was stolen, retailer looses the money for camcorder. He's down a camcorder and very pissed off. Because he send it outside the US he has no come back at all. At least in the US the law could chase it up. Thats why some wont accept non US cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It *is* a massive drag having to deal with customers on another continent, it's problematic for me and i've only sold a few things on ebay!

As for paypal, been using it for nearly 2 years, not one problem, in fact this month I had to submit a complaint to them about a company I bought a DVD off and never received, they sorted it out for me within a week and did a chargeback to my card. Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

1. is paypal secure? is there a manual or something to explain how to securely shop in it? do they accept Irish credit cards?

You'll scarcely find a MORE secure way than paypal. they certainly do accept irish credit cards. Their fraud detection is great. I'd like to see paypalsucks do a better job. Customers have far more control when they use paypal as the go between, rather than directly exposing their credit card everytime they purchase online.

2. most of the online stores in US don't accept Irish credit cards, what to do?

E-mail the store owners - they are probably just using antiquidated validation. Let them know you're froming Ireland trying to order but their form won't let you. E-commerce sites often bend over backwards usually to take money off you :)

The only thing I would say about paypal, is that I wish they would reduce their costs of transactions (not relevant for normal customers). But very relevant for sellers. Paypal must really be raking in truck loads of cash every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

is there a manual or something to explain how to securely shop in it?

Missed that part of your question. You don't need a manual! It's very, very easy. Visit paypal.com and it will take you through, very slowly, one step at a time.

But the merchant has to accept paypal - that will be the only tricky bit. Not all merchants accept paypal. But more and more merchants are accepting paypal. And some are paypal only merchants now as well. Either way, if they accept paypal they'll display the paypal logo on their webpage alongside their visa/mastercard/amex logos.

Advertisement