Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Code

Options
  • 11-11-2003 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I've got an assembly language file which I've compiled and this gives me a *.obj file (for motorola mc6809).
    I want to read that .obj so I can get machine code level instructions.
    Why?, you might ask.
    For the creation of a Simulator for the MC6809.
    Can anybody tell me how to view those beautiful 1's and 0's?
    If you want an example .obj file just say so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Do you mean what type of application can you use to open the file for viewing?

Any hex editor will show you the raw file and you can usually simultaneously see the contents of the file in hexadecimal, binary and ascii characters.

It can sometimes be vaguely interesting to view executable files to see what's written in the header or what plain text is scattered amongst the code. Also sometimes when people put passwords and copy protection information in their code they don't bother to encrypt the data. Any hacker will have a hex-editor as one of his essential utilities as a matter of course, on the offchance that there is a vulnerability as obvious as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Yep, I want to open the file for viewing and the hex editor sounds like just the thing. Any suggestions as to a particular one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You might also be interested in IDA Pro which is a disassembler that disassembles binaries for various CPUs (incl. MC6809). Also, a quick Google reveals a few MC6809 emulators which already exist; like Flexemu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 doon

emacs has a hex mode which is good.

Advertisement