Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Compress old files' in Disk Cleanup

Options
  • 11-11-2003 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

In my eternal battle with the "low disk space" warning, I'm considering enabling the 'compress old files' option in Disk Cleanup as it would gain a much needed 7 gigs. Has anyone used this? What happens if the files need to be used again, are they decompressed automatically and how much does this slow things down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

never tried it, but guessing you using a ntfs filesystem, you will still be able to access them you just might have to wait a tiny bit longer

doupt you'll save 7 gigs from doing that

surly there must be some other way to gain space, what spec is your pc, and whatos/ software is on it, did you clean your temp folders,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'm using Windows XP. Yeah I've cleaned all my temp folders, internet files etc etc, this is the only other thing I can think of short of buying another hard drive. It was the disk cleanup that told me I'd save 7 gigs, albeit approximately. But at this stage even a gig or two would be nice.

I'll probably just do it tonight and see what happens.

Advertisement