Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whaddya think of this???

• 11-11-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

The "Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router Combo" that dsl warehouse are currently selling; is it actually any good? I've seen various reports on the pieces of hardware used seperatly but do they actually function well together?

It's about that time I'm starting to shop for DSL kit and it's either going to be this or the D-link option. I would go for the all-in-one netgear router & modem that dsl warehouse are selling but I need (well, I want) the higher speed of G.

Anyway, I await your well structured and critical replies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

In case you haven't seen it, Netgear have also introduced an all-in-one 802.11g box, the DG834G, which works out cheaper than this combo. This is basically a DG824M with g wi-fi instead of b. The 824 has a fair few satisfied users around here - if I'd had the money back in June, I'd be one of them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have this combination running happily on IOLBB. I also would have prefered one bit of kit to do both jobs, but like you wanted the higher speed of G.

I had one minor problem setting it up in that the modem needed to be in "thick" mode and get the router to deal with the "internet" logon parameters (I'm at work now so can't read the exact details off the router setup pages). Having the modem in "clever" mode and attempting to setup a subnet bettwen it and the router gave me about a 25% packet loss to the outside world. I never found out why, but since it worked perfectly in the other combination I was never too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

cheers for that Tom, hadnt seen that. It must be the only page on dsl warehouse that I havent seen. 20 quid cheaper than the combo too. A googling I shall go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm holding out for one of these babies rymus, gonna stick it under the stairs and hang my whole LAN off it. Anyone know what /actual/ rates you get on these things? And where do they get the 108 figure from, is it doubled up or summat?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

*wipes away the drool* Ahh yes, that beast of a 108Mbps router. Had pondered on choosing that one but I thought to myself do I really need that kinda speed?

I think we all know the answer to that one... Bones of €160 on wifi warehouse plus another €84 for a PCMCIA adaptor. Pricey but quite tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by dahamsta
    And where do they get the 108 figure from, is it doubled up or summat?

It's basically done by "proprietarising" some aspects of the standard. When in 108 mode, you can only use Negear kit - if your mates drop around with anyone else's WiFi gear, it'll be as if they aren't there.

Oh and 108 may not exactly be 108 - have a look here.

31Mbps....?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It isnt entirely clear how it hits 108Mbit ... I wonder is it the same as 802.11a products that advertise 72 or 108Mbit ... by actually using two channels, one in the lower frequency range and one in the higher frequency range ....
    (Alas this is illegal to do in Ireland because the higher frequency range is reserved here)

Advertisement