Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty it Doesnt get any better than this

Options
  • 11-11-2003 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Stalingrad what a level, a hell of a lot more stunning than Omaha in medal of honour

Enjoy

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Stalingrad was classic. It was bloody terrifying, namely because they didnt even give you a gun for the entire first section!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I thought that was a bug in the game lol, they give ye 5 bullets but no gun, i replayed the first level from the boat to the dock about 5 times still no gun,

So at that stage i just thought to hell with it and played it through

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

This game was such a massive disappointment to me. The gameplay is tiring (Nazis spawning in rooms behind you with no possible entrances, the fact the entire game is a collection of rooms and large squares you have to creep through only to find a single Nazi sitting in the corner of every room... why??) and the GFX is incredibly dated looking.

I fail to see the difference between this and MOH:Breakthrough (which was slated by everyone). All the annoying bits are still there (constant need to use gun turrets against wave after wave of mindless Nazis who merrily pop up to get shredded), totally inept team and enemy AI and trite mission objectives.

Play H&D2 people, its a vastly superior game!

Matt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The Ai is far from inept tbh.
    Also i didnt see any Germans spawn behind me once i made sure i cleared out the rooms.
    H&D 2 has crazy AI that at times are downright stupid.having said that its a great game except for its lack of dedicated servers.
    I mean what publisher/creator makes a game ,includes online play but doesnt even bother to host a few servers?
    Having said that its been over a week since i last checked for them.
    H&D 2 is a masterpiece lying beneath the issues ive mentioned above.
    Its not fair to compare COD and H&D as both are different genres and are similar as chalk and cheese.
    I love them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im comparing CoD and H&D2 as they are both WWII shooters, released at the same time. To someone interested in FPS games (yes I know H&D can be played other ways), they quite clearly are very similar. Some of the missions are even set in the same areas\scenarios (Sink the Tirpitz being one). The fact H&D2 is far more flexible and can be played many ways (Lone Wolf, standard team, Carnage mode, 3rd person, RTS, FPS etc) sets it above CoD, not makes CoD exempt from comparison.

I played CoD on Hard difficulty (and completed it in around 5hrs), perhaps the game tries to make it harder by spawning AI in random locations (my point was I had cleared the rooms, yet somehow guys spawn behind\around me anyway). In regards the AI itself, the only "thing" it does is run around in a strange, poorly animated fashion and\or sit behind the abundant boxes and shoot. Most of the events are scripted, heavily scripted. There are scenes when your team throw grenades or run for cover, or sometimes run out in the center of an area... totally irrespective of the enemy AI. I despise scripting, yet many are totally fooled by it. I heard people in work today gushing over CoD... "its the most realistic game Ive ever played..". Well, you must not play many games then.. :rolleyes:

I played both games single player, so I cant comment much on how they compare in multi. From what Ive seen, CoD multi would be appear to be a carbon copy of MOH, RTCW etc. Nothing too exciting it appears. In regards H&D servers... such things cost money.. EA and Activision type money.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I never noticed any Germans spawning from searched rooms or as you Simms said, ones with entrances.

You did notice that sometimes zee Germans get reinforced. Remeber the Austrian Alps level, where as you precede on the second floor, an opel truck belts into the courtyard and drops off a squad?

I thought the game was innovative, fresh and thankfully playable on my machine, which hasnt been updated in 3 years. It does borrow a bit from other games and movies, but it does it well. I think the best thing I can say about it is, I'm still playing like a maniac.../me goes to play again...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

CoD has some nice toches and looks well but apart from that it is just another WWII game like all the rest before it.

It is also very, very, very buggy if you have the wrong Gfx card. I have a 9500 Pro and it crashes every 2-3 minutes on some levels. Maybe a patch will come out for it?

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    CoD has some nice toches and looks well but apart from that it is just another WWII game like all the rest before it.

It is also very, very, very buggy if you have the wrong Gfx card. I have a 9500 Pro and it crashes every 2-3 minutes on some levels. Maybe a patch will come out for it?

Hyzepher

if your having any problems playing CoD on radeon graphics cards, turn fast writes off in the display properties, that will sort you out

And remember guys this game is the first in a series of call of duty games, so it can only improve on a top notch title as the next game will undoubtedly do.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just played the first bit of the Stalingrad level and when i went to bed afterwards my ears were ringing from the Artillery.

Absoultly love this game (single player and multiplayer). Don't think its the best ww2 game ever but its fun.

Advertisement