Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Crackdown on Feigning Injury

• 11-11-2003 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I just read this on Breaking News

FIFA are considering a proposal that any player requiring treatment has to leave the pitch for a minimum of two minutes in an effort to cut down on footballers feigning injury.

The proposal has been put forward by the legendary Polish player Zbigniew Boniek, who is a member of FIFA’s football committee.

Sepp Blatter, president of the game’s world governing body, said: “Mr Boniek has proposed that if a player is injured – or not injured and asking for help - he has to wait at least two minutes before he can re-enter the field of play.

“Most of the time these injuries are not really injuries and as soon as they get to the touchline – the magic line I call it – he is well again.

“It’s not good for football, it’s cheating. They just lie down when they are tired or perhaps if the team is not doing well and to give the coach some time to give some instructions.”

The proposal will be discussed by FIFA’s referees committee and if all are in favour it will be passed to the International Football Association Board (IFAB) for a decision in February.

IMO it's about time ... it has really gotten to be a joke!!

I also think that a record of all such occurences should be kept by the fourth official & any player who is found to be feigning injury on a regular basis should be fined &/or suspended!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think 90 minutes should be 90 minutes too.. None of this 3 mins added time. Should be about 10 mins in every game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Its time to do what they did in rugby for the world cup - the referee signals a stoppage and the clock stops and then restarts when the referee signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I can see the good sides to this but what if it really was a fowl and the player is in agony. Basically you are punishing the team who got fowled for being injured and making them play for 2mins with 10men (or less). Maybe if the player who fowled got booked you let them stay on without going off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

About time. All time wasting should be stamped out including ruuing into the corner with the ball in the dying minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree with the move, I would also dismiss players who
    act up a la Ronaldo last year against Turkey. As for playing the ball into the corner thats okay its called tactics.

Mike.

• Advertisement

As for playing the ball into the corner thats okay its called tactics.

I call it time wasting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I call it time wasting .

How can you call it time wasting? The ball is in play :rolleyes:

How can you call it time wasting? The ball is in play

The reason that players run into the corner with the ball is waste time, I know it would be difficult to legislate against. I dont consider it very sporting.

It's impossible to legislate against because as Mike put it - its a tactic usually referred to as 'holding possesion' and as with most tactics there is a tactic to combat it, usually referred to as 'get the ball back'.

its a tactic usually referred to as 'holding possesion' and as with most tactics there is a tactic to combat it,

Granted

BTW Is there a tactic to combat the tactic of feigning injury to waste time?;)

• Advertisement

Indeed there is, and according to this piece of news FIFA are going to use it. It's called "put it down in the rule book".

Anywhich I doubt there are many managers out there that go into the dressing room and tell their players - "Right lads, go out their and feign your asses off", whereas they might ask them to hold the ball and keep possesion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

this rule obviosuly dosent apply to goalkeepers does it ?

i would love to see blood substitutions introduced but this feigning injury is preventing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    but what if it really was a fowl and the player is in agony

if the player is in agony then i am sure he will need at least 2 minutes before he is fit to come back back on

this is a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by mike65
    I agree with the move, I would also dismiss players who
    act up a la Ronaldo last year against Turkey. As for playing the ball into the corner thats okay its called tactics.

Mike.

I think that was Rivaldo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think that was Rivaldo??

Oops! :eek: Of course, Ronaldo would'nt do something that sneaky.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

if the player is in agony then i am sure he will need at least 2 minutes before he is fit to come back back on

Perhaps but if it really was a fowl then imo you are punishing the team that got fowled. No personally more often than not tihs rule will stop time waisting but im just saying what hit me when i saw this.

Advertisement