Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory Gallagher

• 11-11-2003 5:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i love him.

anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yup. was listening to him in the car this morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

yeay!

what were you listening to?

my favorite song is 'as the crow flies' and i love 'a million miles away'.

have you seen any tribute bands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

"Tattooed Lady" is great, real rocking energetic song.

His live album is very good.

I think he's very under-apperciated compared to someone like Phil Linnot

The student bar in UCD has his songs on the jukebox though- yeah!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

i have live in europe and the irish tour, his live stuf was the best.
    he has a dvd of the irish tour, amazing.

i might be going to ucd, god, good luck to them, rory is only ever on the top 40 irish of all time albums. and even then he is miles down the end. wrong.

he is one if the best blues/rock guitarist ever. most guitarist agree, but it seems its a love or loathe thing, how wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

aaaah Live In Europe 1972 this morning.

yeah, Rory's pretty much forgotten about in the world of blues (unless you're Irish)
    Haven't seen any tribute bands but I saw a guy in cork a few years ago who had obviously listening to Rory an awful lot.
    I forget his name now but I do remember talking to his drummer for a while, Henry(?) Spinetti who used to play with Clapton, Harrison, Dylan, McCartney, Pete Townshend and a load of others.
    Good to hear he's still on one jukebox in a college somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

His music got me interested in blues/rock style music.

Bless 'im.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Wheels within wheels is quite interesting his solo with Bella Fleck on the banjo is class

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

i keep buying vinyl record of rory gallagher and have amounted a nice wee collection, but the calling card album is my fav.

rory was so under appricated in ireland, he was loved in europe.

i cant wait to hear www, but being a bum i cant afford it. :(

vinyl, really cool. that must be so unique. smell of jealousy of me!! lol

did anyone ever see him live? i did when i was really young in dame street. i remember some of it, hehehehe loads of smelly rockers and this guy on stage with a guitar, it makes me smile.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

aw rory was the fricking king man.

messin with the kid live in europe. classic!

such energy!

theres a Rory Gallagher st in Temple bar, PROPER ORDER! It leads into meetinghouse square from the side of charlies II.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Deuce is my fav Rory G album ....... absolutely brilliant ...

I haven't heard that one. I think I might be getting it for Xmas. Hopefuly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

my dad loves him, and so do i!
    he is truelly underrated. i think tatoo'd lady is his best. we have the live in cork video. tis excellent. they are showing the irish tour late night on rte 2 on christmas day. i will post this on metal forum as well
    rory gallagher street? sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chunga_monster

messing with the kid'live in Germany IS a classic. I also love Bullfrog Blues. Has anyone here ever actually seen him live?. I regret now that i didnt take the opportunity when he was alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

there's a tribute guy called dave mchugh ..i think
    good stuff icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i like him a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

there's a live concert on rte on christmas day at 1a.m.-ish :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i have got a live concert in video, at cork.

I saw him live in Dame Street when I was like 10. Amazing, I remember like half of it!

'A taste of Rory' is another great tribute band, they have played in Olymipa and Vicar St. I'd recommened going even just for the live sound.

I have the Irish Tour on Dvd, and some bootleg tapes of 'live in Cork'. There is a lot of stuff that isnt on albums floating about. I have like 5 out of 13 so far. Did I say that already? Anyway, yeah, RORY ROCKS!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hmm this thread is inspiring me to listen to some of his music. I listened to a few of his songs once but was never hooked. Christy Moore has a great tribute song - "Rory is Gone" - which is one of my favourite songs ever and a very fitting tribute.

• Advertisement

Definitly do. He has such diffrent moods in all his songs, but you can always feel Rory in them all. That Chrisy Moore song nearly made me cry. And Deko, the tribute guy, has a song called 'Hand of Gold' about when he first went to Rorys' grave. I'm going down to see it in Cork this summer. The song is very moving....:(

When I read his biography when it ends, and he dies, I felt like I'd really lost him, even though I knew he was already dead.

Rock and Roll: Bullfrog blues, Messin' with the kid, Too much alchol.
    Sad: A million miles away.
    Classic: As the Crow Flies.

Oh there is so many, but I recommened those to start off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

He's absolutely brilliant.

Being a member of the mailing list on Rory Gallaghers' offical site(www.rorygallagher.com) I received this lovely email, written by Donal Gallagher, his brother. Since I'm sure thousands of people got this letter as well I'm assuming that they wont mind me posting it up here. Rory is amazing and there is much more of him to come by the looks of it;

Firstly, I wish to wish all of you a great Christmas & a wonderful New Year.

What a year 2003 has been, from the preparation, the release of “Wheels, within, Wheels”, last March, to the release of G-Men+ at the end of November, there was little time to draw breath. Adding in the increased number of ‘Rory’ events and tribute shows, its been quite a bumper twelve months, Thankfully, things haven’t slowed since and the coming year looks set to be quite a year.

2004 celebrates the 50th anniversary of the ‘stratocaster’, as part of the guitar’s celebrations, in January Fender will finally put the Rory model into their ‘signature series’ and at the years end produce (what they term an ‘affordable’ Rory guitar, the details of this are still in discussion. I am grateful to Patrick Kennedy and others for their persistence at Fender in seeing this guitar to fruition.

We have now finally signed an agreement for the release in Europe of a Rory ‘Rockpalast’ DVD, this should appear in early March, it has been a long road of rights and legal issues, not to mention the work done to further improve the audio and picture quality. Rory’s DVD will be the first of the series and has been the long-time passion of Rockpalast’s producer Peter Ruchel, this one is for him as his way to celebrate his retirement from the WDR television series.

The 1st May ’04 will mark the enlargement of the EEC by the joining of ten ‘new’ countries, as Ireland will hold the Presidency of the EEC at that time, plans for the hosting of celebrations are currently being planned. At this early stage it is to premature to divulge what is being considered on the music front, though a major television & radio transmission is expected to take place, with Rory’s music expected to receive it’s fair share of attention. Also, to help celebrate the occasion a special release (to include Rory’s music) is being negotiated at present.

Next year will also see the completion of the BMG Entertainment agreement and I am pleased to say they wish to continue to represent Rory’s music. Until such time as negotiations are finalised, we have not as yet planned further releases with any company, so a little patience may be required but assured the studio work on Rory recordings is always ongoing.

Following the successful launch of the Rory London convention, we have been asked by the Hammersmith Irish Centre to put on the event again in November of next year and the feasibility of this will be considered in due course. As Hammersmith revisited would lead up to Cork’s distinction as being the host city as the European Capital of Culture in ’05. At this year’s Hammersmith gig we had a visit from the director of the Cork 2005 and he has since communicated with me some encouraging ideas to give focus to Rory’s talents during that year, which will also sadly mark the tenth anniversary of his passing.

Aside from all of the above, I am assured that plans are continuing for the various tribute events. I wish to extend my gratitude to all concerned with the organisation of these gatherings, to all the fans that support them and last be not least to the musicians who do an amiable job performing the music of my brother. Also, my thanks to all involved with the maintenance of this and other Rory websites. I shall be ‘toasting’ you the fans when I raise my glass tomorrow and remember you all in my prayers for the new year.

Kindest regards

Donal

I thought that it was worth posting because it just shows how worthwhile being a fan of such great music is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Saw a documentry thingy on him on telly for Christmas. Damn, he was good. The live performances they showed were amazing. Must find more of his music...

Well, I'd obviously recommened it!

He has a new competely acoustic album out called Wheels Within Wheels. It was complied by his brother Donal Gallagher and remastered. So that would be a good one to get. Otherwise I would recommened live stuff!

Advertisement