Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DSL Exchanges

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just tried my number there and it comes up as a fail:( I live 2.1km from Dunshaughlin, Lagore Road to be precise, is this too far from the exchange as I know for sure that im connected to the Dunshaughlin exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

if you pass the line test does that mean your exchange is enabled?

i'm on the dublin 7 cabra exchange i think about 1km away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When an exchange is in the process of being upgraded, is the exchange upgraded bit by bit or is all of the exchange suddenly enabled at once? cud this be why my numbers are failing yet im only 2km from the exchange and I heard that once an exchange is enabled that your able to receive broadband within 5km of it. Ive tried other numbers around me and they are failing as well, only numbers that are within 1km of Dunshaughlin seem to be passing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    if you pass the line test does that mean your exchange is enabled?

i'm on the dublin 7 cabra exchange i think about 1km away

yes otherwise it would not pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Hi Gonzo

No thay dont upgrade all the ports in the exchange !

As for you been 2 kms from the exchange this does not mean that the copper cable is running exactly from your house to the exchange it could be running around the block up the road back down again there is now real way to determine where it is going.

if you are extremly techie and have the correct equipment you could check the lengh of it in db I think some routers have the capibility to do this it needs to be less than 51db or 47db for the enhanced package (one or the other)

yes you can get RADSL up to 5km from the exchange

• Advertisement

Im gonna ring Eircom tomorrow or Thursday and see what they can do for me about this port thingy, I just checked my neighbours line and his number pass's.... a few feet away from me, seems daft, I will go to the exchange and hound them if necessary to do sommet about my line and make it pass, after waiting 5 years for broadband and it finally arrives in my area and my line ends up on a particular port that isnt enabled is gutting to say the least:'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

your right gonzo, get on to them. i've a few mates up the lagore road and its comin out pass for them, and i'm passing no bother in ARDLEA so hound them and they'll bend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

my god there more than just me on lagore road looking for broadband :) heres me thinking I'm all alone. I'm about 2km miles from the exchange (by road), 1 mile exactly from the main road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I'm connected at the Carrigaline exchange only 4 business days after ordering it, My speeds are about 480 - 500 kbps all day.

Kudos to UTV

so far ive had no luck with eircom:( I explained the situation on the phone about none of my numbers coming up as passing on the website yet everyone else around me is passing and he put it down to the fact that Dunshaughlin exchange will not be broadband capable till March/April 2004 which i know is a load of bs since everyone else can get it and he tried to convince me that my phone numbers arent part of the Dunshauglin exchange which is deinitely a load of bs - 6 months ago an eircom technician out at my house told me that my lines are part of the Dunshaughlin exchange and that as im only 2km from it that I would have no problem receiving broadband when its available. Time to visit my exchange tomorrow methinks and hope for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Hi,
    My router gives me details about SNR Margin and Line Attenuation in dB for both Downstream and Upstream. Which are relevant towards lines passing for DSL ?
    Originally posted by the Guru
    Hi Gonzo

No thay dont upgrade all the ports in the exchange !

As for you been 2 kms from the exchange this does not mean that the copper cable is running exactly from your house to the exchange it could be running around the block up the road back down again there is now real way to determine where it is going.

if you are extremly techie and have the correct equipment you could check the lengh of it in db I think some routers have the capibility to do this it needs to be less than 51db or 47db for the enhanced package (one or the other)

yes you can get RADSL up to 5km from the exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by douglasman
    Hi,
    My router gives me details about SNR Margin and Line Attenuation in dB for both Downstream and Upstream. Which are relevant towards lines passing for DSL ?
    Neither, as you won't be able to use your DSL router on a line until after it's been passed for DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

I already have DSL. I'm just curious as to where my line stands in comparison to others.
    Originally posted by Ripwave
    Neither, as you won't be able to use your DSL router on a line until after it's been passed for DSL.

Advertisement