Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Telephone Sockets ?

Options
  • 11-11-2003 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place.

My new house is wired up for 4 telephone sockets (i.e. There are 4 holes in the wall which you can stick a telecom box into, all of which go out to a box in the front of the house).

Eircom will be around to connect me tomorrow. They will only connect one of them.

I have been told that I will need to pay rental on the extra sockets which sounds stupid to me. They are just additional sockets on the same line connection.

Anyway. They will be connecting one of the 4. Anyone know how I can connect the rest without paying Eircom rent on them? I will go ahead buy 3 extra boxes for the wall (sockets - currently I have holes in wall where they should be).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    I have been told that I will need to pay rental on the extra sockets which sounds stupid to me. They are just additional sockets on the same line connection.

Anyway. They will be connecting one of the 4. Anyone know how I can connect the rest without paying Eircom rent on them? I will go ahead buy 3 extra boxes for the wall (sockets - currently I have holes in wall where they should be).

Who told you that about the rental ? A Biddy ? Its not true, name and shame in here please.

I take it you have 4 holes in your walls now and will have one socket put in tomorrow. Eircom will charge you €50 per hole if you give them the job to fill tose holes with sockets.

The socket to be fittied tomorrow must have a wire to the second which must have a wire to the third which must have a wire to the fourth where your series stops.

All sockets must be in series.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Saw the first connection go in. The 4 sockets in the house are not in series or chained together. They each individually go out to the box outside.

From what I saw, there are a load of wires one is a blue wire and a white wire with blue stripes in the socket. These connect to the back of the socket itself.

Outside there is a big black cable with 4 wires in it. One of them is orange and another is black. My 4 connections in the house come down to this box (thus 4 cables in the box), each of these has the same blue and white wire I connected to the socket, so all I have to do is connect these to the orange and black wires.

Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

Originally posted by Muck
    Eircom will charge you €50 per hole if you give them the job to fill tose holes with sockets.

Ah thats a bit steep just ask the guy when he comes will he put in the other few for a bit of cash in hand.Im sure he will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I need a couple of sockets repaired myself. Was going to give it a go myself last night but the wires are torn out of one of them and I think the sockets are in series so no point trying to fix the second one.

Anyone know if eircom charge the same for a repair as an install?

Advertisement