Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k

Options
  • 04-10-1999 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Anyone using Win2k? Any major issues? Driver incompatibilites? Does NT Option pack work on it? Is it stable?

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Is it out properly? Or is it still Beta?

El

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Just did a little home testing, all my drivers worked on the three different versions I have...stable enough, nice OS...

...Not out yet, still Beta.

..and at the end of the day, it's windows.

DYOC wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

can u play all the latest games on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Cool... I have RC2 here, and since I managed to fsck my Win98 install viciously, I thought I'd give this OS a lash. My main curiousity is whether its

a) Stable
    b) Compatible with DirectX 7
    c) Made with decent TCP/IP/Multitasking
    d) A pain in the ass to use smile.gif

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Regi,

I'm running Win2000 Beta 3 RC1 here, seems rock solid. Only whinge I have is that i cant get an audio driver for my Turtle Beach Montago. As for compatability, It has DX7 built into the OS ala win98 with DX5(or was that 6?)I find that all my games work with it although I'm sure there's one or two that will be tough to get going. And Gandalf its still Beta, it wont go gold until RC3 goes to beta testers and is deemed functional and stable.

Wouldn't mind a copy of RC2 Regi wink.gif

Jimmy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

get rc1. opengl problems with rc2.
    I found out to my cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

What kinda problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

OpenGL problems are a problem associated with the display driver. There are lots of fixes vailable on sites such as http://www.mswin2k.net. Now if only Sonic would get me that sound driver smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw Beta phase has ended.

Gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

hey regi , 3 of the lads in the house here are running release categoy 1 , stable and very secure , there have been a few problems getting drivers but they are out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

RC2 drops support for old NT4 driver packs, which causes severe problems for OpenGL - DX7 still works fine, since it ships with the OS.

If your vendor doesn't have Win2k specific drivers for your graphics card, you won't get OpenGL support in RC2. This includes the TNT/TNT2 and the Voodoo3, by the way, although NVIDIA have a beta driver for 2k lurking about on the developer site somewhere.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Don't mention that piece of $hit. We have it where I work on a couple of machines cos of some crappy app. And it's just plain awful. Designed by monkeys.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont diss it too much smile.gif

It was fully 32bit (I think) years before any of the other o/s's were. The thing might have gotten off the ground if MS hadnt decided to do an about face on IBM. The ads were cool too smile.gif (effects:mad guitar riff and swirly pattern).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

that was only because ibm wouldnt drop the whle louts thing

Look technically speaking warp kicked some major ass (it's faster, more reliable) but the interface is just a pain in the nads. Not cos it's "different" to Windows but because to just to set up a printer means having to do some wierd ass sh|t.

Me, I'm waiting until Linux gains a bit more market share and hardware support and then it's goodbye wintel and have a nice day.

tongue.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah!
    Who needs windows...OS/2 is Da'BOMB.

H0 H0 H0...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

think Linux has already gained that.

But its not going to get acceptance outside certain circles. Not as a home o/s definatly, people are just to ingrained with MS.

But as a business operating system it has a lot of advantages and the potential to knock wintel down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

For the vast majority of users, Linux is still absolutely hopeless compared to Windows. For all that people dislike MicroSoft, Windows itself is a pretty damned good OS - ok, it occasionally sacrifices stability for user-friendliness, but I for one have no problem with that. Having installed and used Redhat 6 and SusE 6.1 quite a lot, Windows remains my favourite operating system (after BeOS) and I don't see myself changing my primary OS for a long time, especially now that Win2k looks to deliver stability to the windows desktop...

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

I suppose you would know Shinji....being a journalist and that...
    The lack of legacy support in NT will make is sooooo popular yeah?
    So many people still use legacy DOS programs on their 95/98/3.1 (it's still around, I swear) machines. Not everyone is on the cutting edge of technology like yourself.

On the other hand, I do agree about Windows in general. It's really sad to use NT or Linux etc as your primary OS. In Scotland some 15 year old was running NT SERVER with a 17" plasma screen monitor. Evidently a l33t hAx04! Look at me!! I use Linux!!!

I must agree with Shinji here, I've tried various flavours of Linux and while I love the idea, I just can't be arsed messing around with etc/bin/whatever just to get a modem working. I just installed win98 and didn't even have to look around for my voicesurfr drivers. It installed them without my knowledge and that makes my life damn easier. I want to do something with my O/s not spend ages getting it setup.

That said when/if Linux has full plug and play and decent support from h/w people (I know it's getting better) then I will say goodbye to windows.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement