Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest transfer mistake?

• 11-11-2003 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

...what do you think are some of the worst signings of recent years?
    I'll start the ball rolling

Bosko Balaban £6mill to Villa

Ferdinand £28 mill to Utd - turtlewax headed f*** , completely overrated and poor attitude. Watch the Utd Stuttgart tapes where he feigns injury after both goals, both of which were his fault.

Carl Cort 8(?)mill to Newcastle - Mr. Glass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Rio for sure his price tag was way too high hes not a bad player but jasus 28million???
    Veron did not exactly set utd on fire either yet i cant help beleive he is a great player cant quite remember how much he went to old trafford for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Ferdinand to Utd - overpriced maybe 10million would have been a better price to pay

Heskey to Liverpool - IMO 11million for a player that plays well in two season is a waste.

Leeds allowing Kewell to leave for only 5million (not that I'm complaining or anything :p)

Traore to Liverpool. Maybe he is a prospect for the future but surely there are better defenders out there at the moment for 5million.

Bosnich and Taibi to Utd - what a waste!!!

Inter Milan tearing up Sergio Conceacio's contract defies belief.

I'm sure there are more but my mind is blank at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Biggest transfer mistake was Leeds selling Cantona to Utd. for £1.2M. but they did get their own back with the sale of ferdinand.
    Considering what woodgate went for Utd appear to have paid way too much but the again I dont know what other offers Leeds had for Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mendieta to Lazio for $41 million now at 'boro!

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ferdinand is looking like a pretty awful buy atm, particularily if he gets slapped with a long term ban... lot of money down the gutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

atheletico madrid getting rid rid of their youth team(which included raul :) lol ) i know thats not a transfer mistake but its so funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Milosevic, Alpay, Balaban All Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Any deal involving stan collymore, the guy was pretty much a waste of space no matter where he went.
    Carl cort, duncan ferguson to newcastle and the worst ever was marcelino, ffs he was out for a year with a broken finger and also holds the record as being the only newcastle player (as far as i know) to be booed in st.james park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Ferdinand:( , Heskey:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Steve Marlet to Fulham for 11.5 million, a total waste of money.

He is now on loan at Marseille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Crouch to villa 5.4 million-2 goals scored so far now on loan at norwich. cost 2.7 million per goal

Seth johnson to leeds-12million 3 goals scored. cost 4 million per goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

here's a few:

Rafael Schneid (£5mil to Celtic) - Joined Celtic in 99 and made 3 appearances.

Stan Collymore (£7mil to Villa) - You all know about this one.

Denilson (£21mil to Betis) - Joined Betis and coudn't play for a year because of injury or something and didn't score in his first 20 matches.

Carrado Grabbi (£7mil to Blackburn) - scored about 2 goals in 20 matches and he was loaned out. Still plays for them.:D

Veron (£28mil to United). - You all know about this one too.

Morrison (5.5mil to Birmingham) - Scored about 6 goals since he joined them and he isn't fit for the prem or the Ireland team.

and then you have Houllier's at Liverpool (which I got from a website): Biscan, Traore, Heskey, Arphexad, Smicer, Barmby, Diomede (payed £3mil for him, lol), Jean-Michel Ferri (£1.7mil), Frode Kippe, Rigobert Song and Christian Ziege.

Houllier has spent over £110mil on players and only a few have turned out worthwhile: Hyypia, Hamann, Henchoz, Dudek, Risse, Kewell, Finnan and probably Le Tallec and Pongolle.

What I was thinking is, when Houllier came along he had a fairly decent squad who were challengers for the title. David James, Brad Friedel, Michael Owen, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman, Patrick Berger, Jason McAteer, Steve Staunton, Heggem, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Ince, Robbie Fowler, etc, etc, etc. Imagine if Houllier had've spent most of that money (which was worth more than it is now) in one go like Chelsea, they could have had the best team in the world.:D And they are now sponsered by probably the best lager in the world. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The sad thing about Houllier is that all Liverpool's best players are the ones who were there before he arrived. I wouldn't trust him to get the groceries in Dunnes, let alone spend over 100m on footballers. Surely all you scouse know he has to go if Liverpool are ever going to do anything more than make up the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by eireboy
    here's a few:

and then you have Houllier's at Liverpool (which I got from a website): Biscan, Traore, Heskey, Arphexad, Smicer, Barmby, Diomede (payed £3mil for him, lol), Jean-Michel Ferri (£1.7mil), Frode Kippe, Rigobert Song and Christian Ziege.

Houllier has spent over £110mil on players and only a few have turned out worthwhile: Hyypia, Hamann, Henchoz, Dudek, Risse, Kewell, Finnan and probably Le Tallec and Pongolle.

What I was thinking is, when Houllier came along he had a fairly decent squad who were challengers for the title. David James, Brad Friedel, Michael Owen, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman, Patrick Berger, Jason McAteer, Steve Staunton, Heggem, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Ince, Robbie Fowler, etc, etc, etc. Imagine if Houllier had've spent most of that money (which was worth more than it is now) in one go like Chelsea, they could have had the best team in the world.:D And they are now sponsered by probably the best lager in the world. :D

Biscan- Playing well at the mo
    Traore- Ditto
    Arphexad- He was free and a 3rd choice keeper FFS!
    Barmby- Played bloody well actually:mad:
    Smicer- He's not a bad squad player
    So that leaves Heskey, Diomede, Ferri, Kippe, Song and Ziege as the bad buys which can be matched by any other manager.
    As for the theory about the squad he inherited-
    James- Absolute rubbish!!!
    Macca- left
    McAteer- Oh come on..
    Staunton- All he ever did was swing his big left peg and lump long balls
    Heggem- made of glass
    Redknapp- ditto and hes really back in the England frame now he's playing so well at Spurs...:rolleyes:
    Fowler- Once a god now a sad, sad shadow of his former self due to injuries and GH got 11 mill for him. Thats a result in my book..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fowler- Once a god now a sad, sad shadow of his former self due to injuries and GH got 11 mill for him. Thats a result in my book..

Have to agree with you. Fowler was class and is currently a shadow of his former self. What happened him and did nobody see the warning signs and take action to help him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

ferdinand stands out the most, veron too, but the main culprits are liverpool

keep up the good work houllier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Another Villa one here, despite getting Luc Nilis on a free, the poor guy started 5 games (scored 2) before breaking his leg and retiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Robbie Keane to Inter-£13m
    Robbie Keane to Leeds-£11m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Originally posted by AngelofFire

Seth johnson to leeds-12million 3 goals scored. cost 4 million per goal

Leeds signed Johnson for 7 million actually, and he's scored 9 goals from defensive midfield in about 30 starts, so thats not a bad record........he's also been one of Leeds' best players this season (which isn't too hard, i admit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

My list is in alphabetical order...

Emile Heskey

...that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Depeche_Mode
    Thats a bit harsh on Keane, he wasn't given a chance at Inter and they only lost £2mil on him which is tiny compared to United £13mil they lost on Veron. And the same can be said about Leeds who also had to sell their players at cheap prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

One Word - HESKEY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Originally posted by Nike_Dude
    Any deal involving stan collymore, the guy was pretty much a waste of space no matter where he went.

We (Forest) brought him for just over 2 mil I believe - sold him for over 7 mil two seasons later. His goals in the first season got us out of the first division and his goals in the second season got us to third in prem and europe. I would consider that a good signing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 [RoF]Gunner

Gotta be Veron... £28 million for 2 dodgy seasons, then sold for £15 million... Result, Fergie

Notice how few mentions there are of Arsenal players? Arsene Wenger must be doing things right, eh!?!

As an Arsenal fan tho, I have to point out that, Sylvain Wiltord, despite some crucial goals and a few good scoring streaks, is NOT worth £13 million.

Stepanovs was dodgy as well.... Although Latvia are in Euro 2004 playoffs wit him as Captain, so give him time...

Although compared to Ferdinand, Veron, Heskey, Seth Johnson, et al...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Depeche_Mode
    Another Villa one here, despite getting Luc Nilis on a free, the poor guy started 5 games (scored 2) before breaking his leg and retiring!

How can you say that that was a transfer mistake??? How is a manager supposed to know if a player is gonna break his leg???
    And besides, you even said that he got him for free!! And he scored 2 out of 5!!!

:rolleyes:

B.

Originally posted by Nike_Dude
    Any deal involving stan collymore, the guy was pretty much a waste of space no matter where he went
    As Ping Chow Chi said, Stan was instrumental in getting Forest into the Premiership. He scored 45 goals in 78 games for them ! That's a great strike record. £8.5m was a lot of money for the 'Pool to pay for him but he scored 26 goals in 55 league appearances, a goal every two games. If Heskey had a record like that he'd be a legend. Having said all that, how Liverpool managed to get £7m out of Aston Villa for him I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hey, Liverpool should be investigated for their tranfer history.

They gave Coventry almost £4m for Phil Babb.

That's right.

Phil Babb.

Back in 94... before tranfer fees went nuts.

Seriously... what's the deal with that?

He was potentially the next Paul McGrath. Some would say he didn't turn out quite as good as Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Stan was instrumental in getting Forest into the Premiership. He scored 45 goals in 78 games for them ! That's a great strike record. £8.5m was a lot of money for the 'Pool to pay for him but he scored 26 goals in 55 league appearances, a goal every two games. If Heskey had a record like that he'd be a legend.
    Ok sorry I should have made myself clear any deal involving stan collymore AFTER he was with forest;) He was decent with liverpool, but you just always get the feeling that he could have done so much more with his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

tony cascarino millwall to celtic 90-91 season i think (correct me if im wrong)
    massive money at the time around the million mark !!!
    the only time tony got a responce from the celtic crowd was when he headbutted a hearts player and got sent off ... this transfer was the start of liam brady`s terrible time with celtic took the club 6 years to put right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

tony cascarino to celtic

harald braatbakk to celtic

regi "stinker" blinker to celtic

berkovic to celtic (and pretty much anywhere else for that matter)

ian wright to celtic (barnes was a knob.)

i would also agree with depeche when he said

ferdinand to utd

veron to utd

heskey to liverpool

Mendieta to Lazio for that ludicrious price

Steve Marlet to Fulham

seth johnson to leeds
    but the main culprits are liverpool

never a truer word said...

probably more that i cant really think of right now (especially the celtic ones) but ill leave it be for now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

florin raducoiu to west ham- refused to play and went shopping with his motherinlaw in harrods instead.

paulo futre to west ham-signed him when he was injured i think!!!he never recovered.

also in the celtic list-gary gillespie-a snip at nearly a million at the time.oh they were bad times for the bhoys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by Sarge
    tony cascarino millwall to celtic 90-91 season i think (correct me if im wrong)

That you vaguly remember Cascarino going straight from Millwall to Celtic kinda proves the validity of my offering for worst deal of all time which IS Tony Cascarino - Millwall to Aston Villa - March 1990 - stg1.5m

Not only was Villa paying (what in modern football money) 10-15million for CASCARINO criminal in itself , but it seemed the very second he landed at Villa Park the team (who at the time were balanced, doing fine in the league and were in pole position to win the title) became unsettled and fell apart handing the title to Liverpool.

He was sold to Celtic in July 1991 for stg 1.1m. So not only did Villa lose the league they also lost 400k on the deal. Fools! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chris Sutton from Blackburn for 10 mil has to be up there 1 PL goal it was a sign of desperation by Vialli, couldn't get Ventola and Delvechio screwed us to get a better deal at Roma the bastard!!.
    Bogarde even though was a free was signed behind Viallis back Hutchinson to blame there.
    Gabriel Ambrosetti, the new Giggs my arse.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What about Kevin Davies from Southamption to Blackburn for £7m? Dave Jones recalls that he couldn't believe the amount of money Blackburn offered for him, so he turned it down, and they came back with more!

Poor old Casaraghi for Chelsea too - broke his leg after 2 games. Just unfortunate, really. I don't think anyone can top Pierre Van Hooijdonk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Poor Perluigi best game was against Liverpool he scored his only goal of his CFC career, Marco Boogers hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Taibi
    Stan Collymore from Liverpool to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by The FANJ
    Steve Marlet to Fulham for 11.5 million, a total waste of money.

He is now on loan at Marseille.

I concur, hopefully we'll get equal or more money from marseille, so we can buy more hopeful players.

Advertisement