Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't install IOLBB - Help

• 11-11-2003 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Have tried everything but I can't figure out why I can't install.

When I get to "specify a location" and enter: "V:\DRIVER" (where V is the drive in which I have inserted the driver CD ROM) - it doesn't locate driver.

ANy suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Try getting them from the web Zyxels web site has them somewhere........really well hidden if I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Did u try just pointing it to the cd-rom and letting it search for the driver itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

isn't it supposed to be d:\drivers\(Your OS)\
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by fatguy
    isn't it supposed to be d:\drivers\(Your OS)\
    ?

It is if you cd-rom drive is labelled as d:\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

yeah, my mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Got onto tech support - very helpful.

There is no driver(s) in the 98driver folder so they reckon there is a problem with the disk.

They are to send a new one out to me.

Has any one else had this problem ?

I'll try to download from ZyXel website in the meantime.

Sure no problem in not having it as I'm still waiting the seperate delivery of Norton Firewall software from IOL.

ZyXEL website won't let me download because they know I'm from Ireland and they don't allow downloads outside UK !

BTW IOL told me that ASDL doesn't work with Windows Version 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rorook
    BTW IOL told me that ASDL doesn't work with Windows Version 1
    I assume you/they mean Windows 95 version 1?

ADSL works fine with Win95v1.

The initial version of windows 95 doesn't support USB though so a USB modem won't work.

So they're kind of totally wrong but in the end it's the same thing (unless you use a non-USB modem as lots of people are doing anyway).

No they definitely said Win 98 v1.

It might be the driver problem I am having. I do have USB port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep that's true it wont work with Win98 it will work with Win98 V2 though......see if you can get your hands on a copy of 2k.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

ro rook u dont say if have win98 or if u have upgraded to win98se or if it is winp8se from the outset. I had same problems as u and it was a complete pain.

I dowloaded drivers from their site by going global and the item u wnat is the 630-11

look here

http://www.zyxel.com/support/download.php

if u have win98 then u may have a problem but I would not give up. Dowload the drivers and put them in their own dir on c drive then do the following.

Power down PC after unpluggibg the usb for the modem, do not use a hub. Pug in usb but before u start make sure the modem cd is in the drive and if u have a second drive that is better as u will need your win 98 cd as well. Power up and follow the onscreen promps.

U should only have to point to destination for WIN 98 and then after 2 rebooths u should be ok. I posted a longer version here back 29 Oct so it maybe still be there.

If u get stuck I coould email drivers and I would contact zyxel for a fix as well, a bit off if it wont work with win98 and u were not advised from the outset. U should bve given another modem FREE.

Good luck and post back if stuck.

gb--

u have to put Prestige 630-11 in the model name window and then press search.

gb--

here is the link to my original thread and u must do an uninstall of the modem software.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122108

gb--

Nice one gb ! I thought it was just me !

You had exactly the same problem that I'm having. I am going off to try the download now.

I do have Windows 98 version 2. No upgrade that's the version I got when I got the pc.

Thanks

Thanks gb. Downloaded driver from Zyxel website as suggested and had to uninstall modem etc etc. I am finally connected half an hour ago BUT the connection keeps dropping every 5 or 6 minutes or so. The following message appears:

ADSL Modem Control & Status Message

ADSL Signal Lost

Normally connecting may take upto 20 secons

NO DATA IS VALID UNTIL AFTER THE MODEM IS CONNECTED

any suggestions why ?

BTW I tested signal at www.bandwidthplace.com and speed is 35kilobits per second

UPDATE: I actually tried five times to post reply but it didn't work using asdl. If the connection hadnt dropped it was taking an age to send and then drop. I am now on pay as you go connection!!! So much for broadband - what am I doing wrong ?

ro rook I am only here for a while but have u got evertything installed ie green icon in system tray, iol shortcut on desktop, then under internet options click on connection and set iol broadband as deafault and then click never dial a connection.

also with modems make sure socket in wall is very very snug, have u fitted filters, is usb plugged straight into pc and not a hub, i will check my speed later.

connection should almost be instant, what else have u on the line, are u a long way from main tel box. Modems are very finicky.

plug everythinh out andjust have modem attached. it sounds like a line problem to me.

back a bit later

gb--

I got it working seemed to be the "never dial a connection" that was the problem. Thanks for that gb.

The BB connection doesn't drop anymore but it can be very slow. Please don't tell me that BB can be slower than Dialup for certain tasks.

I am actually on iolfree connection now because I can't seem to post a reply on boards.ie whilst on BB connection !

The blue task bar at bottom crawls along to about half way and seems to freeze or drops connection. Also seem to have difficulties getting into hotmail also. Is this normal ?

I used BB last night to play movie clips, ads which downloaded very quickly but not for everything.

I would be very disappointed if this was the norm - have I some of my settings wrong ?

I can access boards.ie on BB but not post threads !:(

what firewall are u using? u have something running that is causing a conflict.

where are u located?

gb-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Somebody posted with a similar issue a while ago. Check if you can submit a 1 character reply. If so, then chage you MTU to around 1400. Use this to do so.

- No firewall as I'm still waiting for free Norton from IOL - How long does it take ?

- I'm in Dublin.

- No couldn't reply with 1 character although I did change my MVU (whatever that is !) to 1400 - will that matter ?

- Should I not be using BB until I get firewall ?

- Yes I do agree something is in conflict with BB but I can't figure out what it is. Can't get into www.iol.ie either !

• Advertisement

RO ROOK,I am stumped, I hope u are not using a dial up no. to get BB as u only should have an * in tel no box!! Have u tried switching off PC and re-booting?

Have u got cookies enabled? Are security settings very high?

And a firewall can cause the problems u are having? U may have to try a complete re-instal of all the modem software.

Did u check to see modem was correctly installed ie settings, control panel, system, device manager, network adapters and u should find your modem there with no yellow exclaation marks.

After that it is IOL support.

U may be on the very edge of BB and the line could bedropping. What is the dial up like?

gb--

q

Just logged on and it seems to be working now. No idea why ! Am able to post reply.

This is probably a stupid question but when I am finished surfing should I be disconnecting broadband connection and then shutting down the computer or just shutting down ? If broadband is an always on service, does that mean that there is access to my computer even when turned off and finally should I be waiting until I get firewall before I use BB.

Thanks for all your help gb

glad u are up and running.

1. U just have to disconnect the modem as per normal when u are finished surfing ie right click in the terminal window at bottom of screen on right hand side.

2. Yes, a firewall is very important but as u connect and disconnect each time that will help, why not get zone alarm for free and use that until u get that one from iol, u can always uninstall za.

3. Get anti virus and use AVG its free and very good from lavasoft.com

4. Get adaware as that will clean out all the rubbish after u have been surfing.

5. Get spybot search and destroy as well.

6. Get trojan horse remover from
    http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/

7. If u get lots of mail then get MAILWASHER and its free, u can delete emails, bounce them etc before they get to your pc.

As u go along u will learn the benefit of these.

The best thing is to get into the habit of checking things.

Read up on everything. This is a good one

www.pcadvisor.co.uk and use the helproom , u will have to register.

and u can post here but in the right section

good luck

gb--

Advertisement