Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever ordered from Amazon.com

Options
  • 12-11-2003 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

not co.uk but from .com, any trouble ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've ordered some books from there-usually only one at a time. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ordered CD's without a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

Have ordered DVDs from .com and there have been no problems at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Yes lots of times. Technical books are way cheaper if you order them from the US. Cds can be cheaper sometimes.

There was one time my books didn't arrive in the specified time. I e-mailed amazon and they sent me a new order with priority shipping. They told me to return the first order if it ever arrived but it never did.

Even the cheapest shipping method will get to you in about a week or so from date of shipping.

I would highly recommend them. You don't get charged customs on CDs or Books either from the us.

If it's CDs you're looking for try www.cd-wow.com.hk first, it's free shipping and the price is about €11.50 for a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for info guys!

no customs on CD huh? great! because that's what i'm going to be ordering

• Advertisement

nope no customs on CDs and Books. It's a good thing cos otherwise I'd be screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

there is also www.cd-wow.ie

www.cd-wow.ie is a portal site for ireland. It sells CDS for €14.99, the CDs are shipped from Hong Kong. www.cd-wow.com same company sell cds for £8.99 Stg which depending on exchange rates on the day can get you a CD for about €12.70ish. If you go to www.cd-wow.com.hk the Hong Kong site, the price is in Hong Kong dollar but the Euro is strong against the Hong Kong dollar so you can get cds for about €10.50 I think. Delivery is free on all sites and it takes the same delivery time cos they ship from the same place.

check out the websites and check out www.xe.com for currency exchange rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

cheers that should save me some money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

thanks for the links bovril!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

The problem with Amazon is that they have a mental block when it comes to making efficient delivery outside their home areas.

If you order from amazon.us their normal shipping method involves the US postal service who don't ship packets directly to any country in Europe. Instead they outsource to Britain's so called "Royal Mail" who outsource to someone else in Germany who in turn outsources independent bikers in each area.

It is a very fragile chain of distribution.

While Amazon.gb deliveries end up with An Post and your local postman if you are lucky, they have a blind spot when it comes to printing addresses and communicating generally. They print the delivery address in small type where the sender's address should appear. The space where the delivery address should appear is white space.

While this may work in GB where Amazon.gb probably have an electronic link to the postal service in that country and the non-standard barcodes on the label may cause the item to fall into the bag of the relevant postman, it doesn't work consistently in the rest of Europe and normally takes about three or four shipments for one to arrive.

Floater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Ordered from .com a couple of times ...sometimes customs charged sometimes no charge (that was whilst i was outside of ireland ie. german customs - irish customs are more likely not to be as efficient?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Ordered from .com a couple of times ...sometimes customs charged sometimes no charge (that was whilst i was outside of ireland ie. german customs - irish customs are more likely not to be as efficient?)

For one it depends on the type of merchandise and the VAT rate that applies in the country in question.

The USPS's European delegated distribution system have a reputation for imposing massive handling charges at the point of delivery for anything that is VATable or incurs EU import taxes.

Floater

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've bought from both .com and .co.uk and have never had any problems.

Advertisement