Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to copy DVD's yet?

• 12-11-2003 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

hey,

just wondering is it possible to copy dvd movies with a dvd burner and the right software?

Any ideas?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

No unfortunately technology hasn't quite reached this level yet.
    Though i would say we will be able to copy dvd's right after we figure out how to copy VHS.
    Keep hope alive!

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    No unfortunately technology hasn't quite reached this level yet.

yes, yes it has

there are many programs that will clone the dvd from one disc to another if its the same size, ods are its a dual layer dvd movie which clocks in at just over 9 gigs but this can be transcoded to fit on a 4.7 gig dvd-/+r keeping the menus etc entact, obviously copyright laws still apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

google + copy dvd`s

or some such ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

my god there's LOADS of software that does this. It's not as easy as copying a music CD obviously as the disks are encrypted but it's certainly not difficult.

Probably the best software in my mind is DVDxCOPY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Hey Strat, I think that K!LL!@N was being sarcastic ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Pinnacle instantcopy 7
    or
    dvd2one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Possible yes.

If you think anybody is going to get caught telling you how to do it... on a public forum... which is also a company... you've probably been smoking crack...

In which case you have underworld contacts, who can get you all the best warez, Russian brides and Asian slaves 'anyway'.

qed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    Though i would say we will be able to copy dvd's right after we figure out how to copy VHS.

LOL
    When do you think we will be able to copy VHS?
    I hope we can do that before this Xmas, so I can make some copies and give them away as pressents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Originally posted by Strat
    yes, yes it has

And he was so serious :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Actually, it's not against the law to make a single backup of each disc (be it software, DVD's Music CD's etc.) for your own use, NOT for sharing making copies for mates etc.

What is dubious is the use of copy protection by major movie companies in the first place.

For more info on DVD ripping etc. go to www.avforums.com and look in the sticky's in the DVD forum. Plenty of free software out there.

I do not endorse illegal copying just the lawful backup of discs in case the originals get damaged (as often happens)

Does anyone know where you send damaged DVD discs for replacement? One of mine has a crack in the centre where someone forced it back into the case too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Owenw
    Does anyone know where you send damaged DVD discs for replacement? One of mine has a crack in the centre where someone forced it back into the case too hard.

i think u mean the dvd fairy, but u dont send him the discs, he'll come to your house while u sleep and leave a nice new copy of whichever dvds u break through neglect. if you leave him a cookie milk an a nice note he will also clean your room for you.

but be warned, this will only happen if your a good little boy:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by Typedef
    Possible yes.

If you think anybody is going to get caught telling you how to do it... on a public forum... which is also a company... you've probably been smoking crack...

In which case you have underworld contacts, who can get you all the best warez, Russian brides and Asian slaves 'anyway'.

qed.

What the **** are you going on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Thanks for the advice guys by the way. Some seriously mellow dramatic fairys around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    hey,

just wondering is it possible to copy dvd movies with a dvd burner and the right software?

Any ideas?

Cheers...

If you are going to buy a DVD burner get the LG Electronics Super-Multi DVD Drive GSA-4040B. Its costs €250 and it supports all five rewritable and write-once DVD formats. Competing dual-format +RW and -RW models cost about €100 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    hey,

Any ideas?

Cheers...

Unreal question - Possibly the best i've ever seen

Google my good friend turned up no less than half a million sites that offer info on the subject of copying dvds.

The best is
    www.dvdrhelp.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Owenw
    Actually, it's not against the law to make a single backup of each disc (be it software, DVD's Music CD's etc.) for your own use, NOT for sharing making copies for mates etc.
    Actually yes it is

(with software you may get the right to make an archive backup from the licence but the other stuff falls squarely under the Copyrights, Designs and Patents Act (this is not the United States and we don't have any fair use provisions in our copyright law))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

joc_06, that little php image in your sig is the sadest thing i've seen in a long long time. So my college's ATM line which is totally free for me to use, and lets me download distro's from ftp.esat.net at approx 2.5mb/sec is a ****ty isp? it's not even an isp you twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by sjones
    joc_06, that little php image in your sig is the sadest thing i've seen in a long long time. So my college's ATM line which is totally free for me to use, and lets me download distro's from ftp.esat.net at approx 2.5mb/sec is a ****ty isp? it's not even an isp you twat.

oooh im sooo sorry!!
    distro's at 2 mbit a sec - u really are the coolest guy i know. I bet the girls are all over you, begging for some of your bandwidth. Can i like, be your friend. Pretty please??

you fool - u havnt a clue do ya.

also you could have pmed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i don't know that type of bandwidth could turn me gay

Advertisement