Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US to build Potemkin Villages in the UK

Options
  • 12-11-2003 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=462900
    US wants ban on protests during Bush visit
    By Kim Sengupta

12 November 2003

Anti-war protesters claim that US authorities have demanded a rolling "exclusion zone" around President George Bush during his visit, as well as a ban on marches in parts of central London.

Apart from the silly cost to UK taxpayers which makes it a bit unviable, what is amazing is this sort of thing wouldn't be allowed in the US?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

The coalition says that it has also been told by British officials that American officials want a distance kept between Mr Bush and protesters, for security reasons and to prevent their appearance in the same television shots.

yes you just can have bad press going back to the states. :rolleyes:

Its outrageous that the UK taxpayers are expected to fork out four million to ensure this imbeciles security and make sure that the american public get their daily dose of propaganda.

I mean they might actually question why all these people in europe are protesting, god forbid.

Im thinking of going over myself to partake in the protests...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Apart from the silly cost to UK taxpayers which makes it a bit unviable, what is amazing is this sort of thing wouldn't be allowed in the US?

Actually, this sort of thing originated in the US. They herd protestors away from the actual person they're protesting into "Free Speech Zones", remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What a f'ing asshole. They questioned Bush on the issue. He just laughed and said "I am happy to go to any country where people can come out and speak thier mind" (sic).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was going to say that the Potemkin village comparison was a little inaccurate but assuming Hobbes' quote is accurate, I'll stay schtum.

All is well in central London. Look at that little child. Why, he's waving a little American flag. Aw, ain't that cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by sceptre
    I was going to say that the Potemkin village comparison was a little inaccurate but assuming Hobbes' quote is accurate, I'll stay schtum.

All is well in central London. Look at that little child. Why, he's waving a little American flag. Aw, ain't that cute.

The exact quote
    On the protests that anti-war activists plan for his visit:

"Well, freedom is a beautiful thing, I would first say, and it's, aren't you lucky to be in a country that encourages people to speak their mind? And I value going to a country where people are free to say anything they want to say.

"Secondly, I would say that I understand you don't like war, and neither do I. But I would hope you understand that I have learned the lessons of 11 September 2001, and that terrorists declared war on the United States of America and war on people that love freedom, and I intend to lead our nation, along with others, like our close friends in Great Britain, to win this war on terror.

"That war is my last choice, not my first choice, but I have obligation as the president to keep our country secure."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and that terrorists declared war on the United States of America and war on people that love freedom

"so we'd better show them that we don't love freedom, so they'll stop attacking us".

Advertisement