Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtf!

• 12-11-2003 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

K7N2 Delta-L
    Athlon 2600 XP
    512mb DDR 333mhz 2.5cls
    all hdd's ide

all bought new this week....trying to install XP it hangs during "setup is starting windows" tried another cd same problem
    tried installing win 2k exact same problem another 2k cd same problem

tried a different gfx card cd rom drive
    put the hdd's back into their original machine boot fine no problems.

put a hdd with FreeBSD 4.9 preinstalled boots and works fine....fired up X no problems...machines flys

lost.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

I had a problem like this with XP setup bombing out. It turned out that the Bios had the wrong clock speed for the CPU. Set the clock speed manually and no more problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

yeh sorry i should have mentioned clock speed for RAM and CPU are set correctly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

What graphics card are yo using ??

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A lot of people who have had this problem have had success by changing their PSU, what make is your BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried copying the CD onto the HD first?

I've had similar problems in the past and sometimes this helps. something to do with the way xp/2k setup reads the CD's, but never got to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

i had this once ages ago.

i had a Dell PC with two graphics ports, one On Board, one AGP. Anyway, i completly missed the AGP one and plugged the monitor into the On Board. Half way thorugh bootup, the screen would freeze.

I didnt know it at the time, but the computer had switched to the AGP card, and disabled the On Board. Just somehting to check, in case.

Originally posted by uch
    What graphics card are yo using ??

two different cards one pci one AGP banshee and a prophet 4500 same problem with both work fine in abother machine

Originally posted by vibe666
    have you tried copying the CD onto the HD first?

I've had similar problems in the past and sometimes this helps. something to do with the way xp/2k setup reads the CD's, but never got to the bottom of it.

haven't tried copying to the hdd no

tried at this stage

win2k pro, server, adv server, data center server
    XP home and Pro
    2003 standard, enterprise and web editions

all fail at the same point tried 4 hard drives and 2 different cdrom drives

same issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Emboss
    two different cards one pci one AGP banshee and a prophet 4500 same problem with both work fine in abother machine

Did you try with only one of them installed. Sometimes having two installed causes problems. have you another OS to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Try and c if its your cpu thats over heating ??
    U say that it gets to the same point everytime. That might be cause at that point your cpu is so hot it has to shut down. If it does so try and get into bios and check your pc health. Or the person who said it might be your psu was a good idea also.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BadCharlie
    Try and c if its your cpu thats over heating ??
    U say that it gets to the same point everytime. That might be cause at that point your cpu is so hot it has to shut down. If it does so try and get into bios and check your pc health. Or the person who said it might be your psu was a good idea also.

tried 2 psu's a hard drive with FreeBSD installed works fine for hours...no over heating issues

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Did you try with only one of them installed. Sometimes having two installed causes problems. have you another OS to try?

no both installed on their own

i listed all os's i tried

win2k pro, server, adv server, data center server
    XP home and Pro
    2003 standard, enterprise and web editions

Then its a hardware problem. What temps are you getting with your CPU? Could be an overheating problem. Have you tried with the side of your case off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I had a similar problem once with XP Pro and it turned out it was because of a bad DVDrom drive. Have you tried with CPU, minimal RAM, AGP Graphics, One HD, one optical drive on differenct IDE channels?

Test each component (and the cables) individually with a minimal amount of hardware installed. etc.

Then its a hardware problem. What temps are you getting with your CPU? Could be an overheating problem. Have you tried with the side of your case off?

read above posts runs fine for hours on a *nix OS cpu temps are fine

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    I had a similar problem once with XP Pro and it turned out it was because of a bad DVDrom drive. Have you tried with CPU, minimal RAM, AGP Graphics, One HD, one optical drive on differenct IDE channels?

yes

Test each component (and the cables) individually with a minimal amount of hardware installed. etc.

done same problem

Advertisement