Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop power troubles

Options
  • 12-11-2003 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I think is more of a hardware problem than an OS problem, so feel free to move.

I have an 18 month old IBM R31 laptop, which worked brilliantly until it was about a year old. Then power issues started to emerge. At the moment, I cannot run the laptop off the mains, or recharge the batteries while it is on.

To charge it, I have to turn it off, plug it in, then plug it out and turn it back on. It has also developed a habit of turning itself off while on, even though the battery appears fully charged.

The battery dialogue box lists the battery as being in good health ( though I am suspicious).

Has anyone encountered problems like this before. I suspect the problem is the circuit that controls switching between mains and battery, but I'm not sure, and I'm reluctant to let any spotty teenage have a go repairing it without a decent idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the off chance

To rule out the OS
    in the BIOS set it up to Boot from FDD (or CD) and then put in a blank floppy (or bootable CD) and see if all stays the same.

My notebook needs to be powered off after running XP before Knoppix will recognise all HW (a restart is not enough)

Also some batteries have control circiruty on them - if you know anyone with the same laptop try swapping to see if the problem moves with the battery.

Are you using the original PSU as it may not be powerful enough to power both the notebook and battery at the same time.

Overall it's probably something internal ..

Advertisement