Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New mobile queries

• 12-11-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Alright,
    I'm the the market for a new phone and just looking for advice. Looking on vodafone.ie and I'm undecided.
    I was looking at the Nokia 6610, Panasonic GD87 or the Sharp GX10i.
    Which would you recommend and a quick reason why. ;)

Or would I be better off with 02 or Meteor?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The_Edge
    Alright,
    I'm the the market for a new phone and just looking for advice. Looking on vodafone.ie and I'm undecided.
    I was looking at the Nokia 6610, Panasonic GD87 or the Sharp GX10i.
    Which would you recommend and a quick reason why. ;)

Or would I be better off with 02 or Meteor?

Cheers lads.

The 6610 is a decent handset. The GX10i and GD97 are old and have been or will be replaced very soon. Look at the GX20 if you want a phone like that..

As for the O2/Meteor argument.. Figure out what type of calls you will be making, when you will be making them and how many text messages u will send. Then look at those charges and go with the cheaper charges for those calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Do not buy a 6610 for the following reasons:

1 - They lag.

2 - There menu sys is slow + ****. U have to do about 5 button presses to get to ur inbox. And u cant delete a delivery report as it comes in directly, u have to go all the way into ur inbox thru de slow **** menus.

3 - The s/w is ****e. Crashes at least once a day on me. Particularly if ur in the calender bit and upon exiting it always crashes.

4 - Itsvery annoying all round. The noise of the incoming messages is pathetic, even up full(level5) its impossible too hear a txt come in if its in ur pocket.

I``d check out the other fones 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers lads. ;)
    I had a feeling the GX10i and GD97 were a tad on the old side. Cheers rander00. I'll avoid that 6610 like the plague.

O2 seem to have a much better selection than vodafone. Even more confused now.

I don't make that many calls a week. Probably send more texts than calls but my current moby needs a changin'. (Nokia 6150) I could get with the O2 option but I have a mate in vodafone who can get the phones real cheap.....GD87 for €120 (norm 299) for example.

The Nokia 6800 caught my eye over on O2.ie. Jesus, all these phones....don't know where to start. I'm not fussy about the make/modal. Just happens all my previous phones were Nokia's.

Basicly, a phone with
    1) Coloured display
    2) Vibrate alert
    3) Camera would be nice.
    4) Small

No need for WAP or MMS as I won't be using them. Would the Sharp GX20 work on my RTG sim?
    I'm happy to spend a small fortune.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The_Edge
    Sharp GX20 work on my RTG sim?

Yes

Just don't choose network based on what phones they offer... Unless you totally fall in love with a particular model..

If you are willing to spend a small forune, buy one sim free.

Would buying online from say the UK or say Germany be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have a 6610. It's not a bad handset but as somebody else said there are just too many menus. For example getting to your inbox is:

Menu > scroll to messages > text messages > scroll down to Inbox >open message

There is a shortcut for creating messages. In reality, I don't use half of the features myself.

The unit is a bit light and the screen can break if it gets "squashed" in your pocket. I had to shell out €95 for a new screen a week after getting mine.

It has a 40 tone polyphonic capability but can only use 4 tones at any one time.

Comes with software for your PC thats handy enough. You can create your own graphics and ringtones without shelling out a fortune to the ringtone merchants.

It's not a bad unit but I'm not to sure if I would buy one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

On the subject of new phones, Ive had my Nokia 8210 nigh-on 4years now and would l like something new. However, while I am prepared to spend a bit for a good phone, I want it to last me another 3-4years as the 8210 has.

A tall order, but im after:

GPRS
    MMS
    Integrated Camera
    Bluetooth
    Min 2-3mb shared memory.
    Size - not much bigger than 7250.
    Battery - that will last min 2 solid days with a decent bit of all round use.

Does the above exist yet? I can be swayed away from Nokia if I find the right spec. Id put a cap of ~€400 on it though.
    I can get 7250i's for ~€320delivered of Ebay.co.uk at the mo...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sony Ericsson T610 .
    The best on the market at the moment IMHO .

GPRS : Yes
    MMS ; Yes
    Integrated Camera : Yes
    Bluetooth : Yes
    Min 2-3mb shared memory : Yes
    Size - not much bigger than 7250 : Yes
    Battery - that will last min 2 solid days with a decent bit of all round use : Yes

Is Sony or Ericsson producing these phones now that they are one?

Ive heard reports of weak aerial strength and cell handover ability of Ericsson phones in the past.... anyone care to comment on that? As I say, its just hearsay though...

Just doing a search on ebay now. Didnt realise the T610 had Bluetooth-thanks.

Bren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

It's probably covered better in the other thread but I'm told that the Sony/Ericsson T610 is the business.
    A guy in work here has had one for a few weeks now and swears by it, he used to be a Nokia only man but he claims to be completly converted.
    Had a word with him as to why, he says that it's as intuitative to use as a Nokia - the camera is good, it's got an email client, IR, Bluetooth etc...

He's had a lot of fancy toys pass through his hands but seems to like this one.

Whatever you go for, get the shop to let you play with it so see what you think before forking over the cash :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by manchine
    Whatever you go for, get the shop to let you play with it so see what you think before forking over the cash :)
    I wish! Theres no way im buying it here. SIM free prices of good phones are extornionate!

Itll be an UK online shop or Ebay.co.uk Id say. Unles anyone has any good links they wanna throw my way.

Having read the review Im fairly convinced. And its smaller than the 7250, well shorter anyway.

Anyone know if t610 has a built in speakerphone? I know a lot of ppl getting by these days with these instead of forking out for a car kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Don't think it has a speaker, but it looks like it might have a record facility while on a call, interesting.... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

It dont have a speaker phone facility , but with the later release you can record omething and use it as a ringtone .

Have had one since they were released ( 3 months 0 and swear by it . Would not change for anything presently on market , 6600 included .

have had a hands on of it and the shape is not very pleasing .

Can anybody supply one or two good links for buying simless mobiles online. I'd don't like the idea of useing E-Bay ye see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I've used Expansys a couple of times and found it very reliable and speedy. Mphone comes highly rated as well, although I personally haven't used it before.

I checked both of those earlier. Both are coming in £80-100stg more expensive than some Buy-It-Now prices on Ebay.co.uk for the T610. Though obviously, without a COD type service, Ebay can be dodgy.

Ive mailed 3 sellers to see if they'd use UPS COD. If they will, then I should be able to get the T610 for less than €290 to my door, if not less, depending how much UPS charge(im allowing €45 in that price).

Advertisement