Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Pc [Advice Wanted]

• 12-11-2003 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine asked me to build him a computer which will be used for video editing,i know its needs to be very powerful and have loads of hard drive space and stuff.

I need some advice of what to and how to start building his PC.
    He said money was no option in regards to parts etc.Here is what i intended to get.Some questions and advice need to be asked of the guy buy if i can show him a few things etc.

I am buying this from marx-computersand i am wondering do i need to buy ide cables etc with all this or is it included.

i was thinking of buying some basic parts first and testing and putting them together and then buy in the monitor and other stuff later when the pc is up and working.

So can i ask your advice on this as its my first time building a PC.

HEC 300W ATX low noise 1 € 62.00

ATX Midi-Tower 300W charcoal 1 € 59.00
    Is a powersupply included in this case as it says 300W?

Geforce FX5600 256MB 1 € 199.00 Is DVI a firewire port?

Hitachi 120GB 7200 UDMA100 1 € 140.00

MSI KT4V SoA 1 € 99.00

DDR-RAM 512MB PC3200/400 1 € 124.00 Will this be enough for Video editing,

19" Monitor 1 € 246.00 Not essential till i ask him ?

BTC OpticalMouse 1 € 16.00

Genuis PS/2 Keyboard 1 € 16.00

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 1 € 288.00

LiteOn DVD+/-R/RW 1 € 179.00 Need to ask about this as well.

Subtotal = € 1428.00

So will this be suitable.Thanks guys and if you know any other sites where i can get more info on how to build PC's please let me know.

What was thinking was as he doesnt need it till feb was buy in the basic parts like the motherboard,the case,the hard drive,graphics card, ram and use my own monitor etc to setup it.

I could buy that now and have a few weeks to play around with and get it setup right for him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

great site for the basics of putting a pc together here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Get more RAM. you can never have enough.

Buy the best motherboard and processor that money can buy. The rest (disk space, graphics card, etc.) will get replaced more easily and quickly than these.
    also, if he's got plenty of wedge, get a flat screen monitor :)

good move making it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hey man I don't know a whole lot about video editing and how much power you need for it but you might want to change some of those parts.

If money is no option then i'd advise you to look at my post for a full spec and a price tag of about 2 grand for a truely powerful machine.

First of all can I say if he doesn't need it until Febuary then don't order it until late January as the prices will have dropped for some of the parts by then. You could save as much as 200 euro.

Don't touch the geforce range. They have major driver problems that are related to hardware problems. Basically the cards are sh*te. If your on a budget get a radeon 9600xt. They are around 200 euro.

If your getting a hard drive get a seagate or western digital. If he's big into video editing you might want a bigger than 120 gigs. Try two 120 gig drives maybe rather than one 250 gig drive.

Don't get the athlon,btw I think you got the price wrong, they are cheaper than 288,think they are 230 now, get yourself the pentium 4 3.0 at just over 300 euro. Much faster processor with hyper threading. It would be better for video editing.

Get an 800mhz mobo with that and rd ram if you can afford it. If not stick with the ddr.

If your only paying 246 for a 19" monitor then it must be a s*it one coz your looking at paying at least 350 for one with a decent refresh rate.

Again have a look at my post for more detailed info with links on every aspect. I'd also advise you to get a manual or look at some sites on putting it together. It's pretty easy but dangerous if you don't know what your doing but shouldn't take you any longer than a day to put it together, get your os on it and update all the drivers. Have you checked www.komplett.ie for prices?

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I know i will get shot down for this but if he has the money why not buy one of the new Apple G5 for video editing? And yes i am a PC owner myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd get a quality PSU like antec or Enermax this is the most vital part of a system you try and save money on a psu you'll end up frying all our your components ans for what? the sake of €60

i suggest you to get this power supply PSU

you won't regret it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    great site for the basics of putting a pc together here

Great site.

Thanks for the advice guys. ill need to discuss a few things with the guy himself over christmas id say.

But i want ot be able to give him some advice etc.

Advertisement